Applications for the summer 2024 program open December 1, 2023. The deadline to apply is January 16, 2024. Applications for the summer 2024 program are now closed and we are unfortunately, not accepting late applications.
Before you apply, we recommend doing the following:
• Visit our advising page to learn more about Global Internships and make an appointment with the Global Internships adviser.
The online Global Internships application requires*:
1. A 200 - 500 statement of interest that focuses on a) What do you hope to gain through your internship experience and how this program fits into your academic plans, future education and/or career goals b) What type of internship you are looking for (please do not request a specific employer, but rather indicate the kind of work and the type of skills you would like to gain).
2. A 250-word response to the following question: What challenges do you foresee for yourself in an internship environment abroad? What strategies will you use to overcome and/or prepare for these challenges?
3. A 250-word response to the following question: What does being a cultural ambassador mean to you? How do you plan to represent yourself and UC Berkeley at your internship placement?
4. A copy of your most recent college transcript (unofficial or official). Transcripts must have your name, the name of your college, courses in progress, and current GPA. A screenshot of your CalCentral account is acceptable.
5. A copy of your resume formatted to the specific location you are applying to. See resume instructions and templates here for more information.
6. A signed Student Agreement (this will be sent to you via DocuSign after submitting your application).
7. A signed student Waiver of Liability (this will be sent to you via DocuSign after submitting your application).
8. A $300 non-refundable deposit. The program deposit will be charged to your CalCentral account on February 1, 2024. If accepted to the program, the $300 deposit will be applied towards your program fee. If you are waitlisted or denied admission to the program, your deposit will be refunded. If you request to withdraw your application or cancel your participation on or after February 1, 2024, the deposit remains non-refundable.
UC Berkeley students: The non-refundable deposit of $300 will be charged to your CalCentral account on February 1, 2024. Financial aid eligible students may wait until their summer aid is disbursed to pay the deposit, but remain responsible for the full deposit if they withdraw their application, or withdraw their participation from the program on or after February 1, 2024. Any payments made to CalCentral will be applied towards outstanding fees prior to being applied to the deposit.
Visiting students only (ie. if you are a student at a University other than UC Berkeley): The non-refundable deposit of $300 will be charged to your CalCentral account on February 1, 2024. You will receive an email from UC Berkeley asking you to set up your university credentials; this email does NOT constitute admission to the program if you have not yet received an admission decision. Please follow the instructions in the email. Once you have completed the necessary steps, please go to CalCentral to pay your non-refundable $300 deposit. You must make payment within 72 hours of receiving your credentials email to remain eligible for participation.
Completed applications are due no later than January 16, 2024. All applications are reviewed by Berkeley Study Abroad in the order they are received. Applicants will be notified of their admission status by email on a rolling basis, starting mid-February 2024.
*Please note, there may be additional requirements or prerequisites for the specific program you select; please check the location-specific web page for details.
A Note for Spring 2024 UCB Graduating Seniors: Please note: If you proceed with this application as a “Spring 2024 Graduating UC Berkeley Student” you will NOT be eligible for Financial Aid and UC tuition rates during the summer. According to University policy, you will no longer be considered a UC Berkeley student for the Summer term once you have graduated. You will be charged visiting student tuition and be ineligible for any UC Berkeley Financial Aid.
You may apply as a “Continuing UC Berkeley student” if you change your Expected Graduation Term to Summer 2024 no later than January 22, 2024. Please speak to your college advisor about switching your expected graduation term from Spring 2024 to Summer 2024. If you are eligible for aid, please also speak to Financial Aid about the financial implications of this decision. You can proceed with your application as a “Continuing UC Berkeley student” before your Expected Graduation Term is updated.
If you wish to remain on the Spring 2024 degree list and pay visitor tuition ($595 per unit) without access to financial aid, continue as a “Spring 2024 Graduating UC Berkeley Student.”
Admitted Students: If you are admitted into your program, you will receive an update in your Berkeley Study Abroad portal account. All confirmation documents must be submitted to the Berkeley Study Abroad application portal by 11:59 pm PST on March 15, 2024.
Waitlisted Students: If you are placed on the waitlist, you will be notified via email no later than March 15, 2024. At that time you will need to do one of the following:
• Remain on the waitlist - no further action required.
• Switch to an open program. Before switching to an open program, you must verify that you meet the eligibility requirements for the program that you’re switching to. Once you have, please speak to your program advisor for your next steps.
• Withdraw your application from the waitlist. In this case, you will receive your $300 deposit back.
Withdrawing Your Application
If you choose to withdraw your Global Internships application before March 15, 2024, you must speak to your program advisor and submit a Program Enrollment Change Form via your Berkeley Study Abroad application portal. The $300 deposit is non-refundable.
Canceling Your Participation
To withdraw your participation, please 1) speak to your program adviser, and 2) complete and submit a Program Enrollment Change Form via your Berkeley Study Abroad application portal by no later than 11:59 p.m. PST on March 15, 2024. If you cancel or withdraw your participation by March 15, 2024, you will not be charged the program fee but will still be responsible for the $300 deposit. Please note that if you request to withdraw your application prior to an admission decision being issued, the $300 deposit remains non-refundable. If you withdraw or cancel after March 15, 2024, then you will owe the remaining program fee as well. Please note: Writing an email or talking to the program staff is not considered an official withdrawal request. Additionally, incomplete or missing confirmation forms do not qualify as an official cancellation.