Study abroad can provide opportunities for graduate students to study a language or enroll in coursework at host institutions abroad.

Program options


Berkeley graduate students can choose to participate on a UC Education Abroad Program (UCEAP), Berkeley Summer Abroad program (offering undergraduate coursework), bilateral graduate exchange programs offered through the Global Engagement Office, or research and study through individual departments.



Discuss your study abroad plans with your department. It is important for you to verify your department's eligibility requirements and academic policies about study abroad, especially whether study abroad coursework may satisfy degree requirements.

Confirm study abroad program requirements. Study abroad programs may have different eligibility, application, and academic requirements for graduate students. Please consult with the BSA Adviser for this program to ensure that you are eligible.


Funding on the graduate level can be structured differently compared to undergraduate funding. Verify with your department and funding sources that you may use your funding for study abroad, and how your funding would be applied.

Berkeley’s Scholarship Connection includes a database of competitive scholarships that may target students at the graduate level.