Before you apply to a Summer Abroad program, we recommend doing the following:
• Get advising by signing up for a personalized 1 on 1 session. Click here to make an appointment with the Summer Abroad Program Coordinator.
• Speak to a financial aid advisor about study abroad funding by emailing firstname.lastname@example.org for an appointment.
The online Summer Abroad application requires:
1. A 250-word statement of interest that focuses on the following question: "Why did you choose your specific study abroad program?" (For example, what are your academic goals for this program? What do you hope to learn? Why is this program a good fit for you?)
2. A 250-word response that focuses on the following questions: "In a Summer Abroad virtual program you will consistently interact with local individuals and communities abroad through zoom and other virtual tools. What does being a cultural ambassador mean to you? How do you plan to represent yourself and Berkeley in your interactions with international communities in an online space?"
3. Optional response to the following question: “Virtual learning environments can present unique challenges for students. What (if any) support do you anticipate needing from the course to be able to succeed in this environment?"
4. A copy of your most recent college transcript (unofficial or official). Transcripts must have your name, the name of your college, and courses in progress.
Spring 2021 Graduating UC Berkeley Students: If you are a UC Berkeley student who is currently scheduled to graduate at the end of Spring 2021, you must apply as a visiting student. According to University policy, you will no longer be considered a UC Berkeley student for the Summer term once you have graduated. Please do not attempt to apply as a UC Berkeley student, as this will have negative implications on access to your UC Berkeley accounts. As a visiting student, you will be charged with visiting student tuition and be ineligible for any UC Berkeley Financial Aid.
If you would like to be considered a UC Berkeley student for Summer 2021, please talk to your college advisor about switching your expected graduation date from Spring 2021 to Summer 2021 PRIOR to continuing with this application. If you are eligible for aid, please also speak to Financial Aid about the financial implications of this decision.
Please note, there may be additional essay questions, requirements or prerequisites for the specific program you select; please check the location-specific web page for details.
Entrepreneurship and Innovation in Europe Applicants only:
5. A signed Student Agreement (this will be sent to you via DocuSign after submitting your application).
6. A signed Waiver of Liability (this will be sent to you via DocuSign after submitting your application).
7. A $400 deposit. If accepted to the program, the $400 deposit is non-refundable and will be applied towards your program fee. If you are waitlisted or denied admission to the program, your deposit will be refunded. If you request to withdraw your application prior to an admission decision being issued or cancel your participation after being accepted to the program, the deposit remains non-refundable.
Please note that for continuing UC Berkeley students, the deposit will be charged to your CalCentral account at the time you apply. Financial aid eligible students can wait until their summer aid is disbursed to pay the deposit but remain responsible for the full deposit if they withdraw their application before an application decision is issued, or withdraw their participation from the program after acceptance. Any payments made to CalCentral will be applied towards outstanding fees prior to being applied to the deposit.
UC Berkeley students: The $400 deposit will be charged to your CalCentral account at the time you apply. Financial aid eligible students can wait until their summer aid is disbursed to pay the deposit but remain responsible for the full deposit if they withdraw their application before an application decision is issued, or withdraw their participation from the program after acceptance. Any payments made to CalCentral will be applied towards outstanding fees prior to being applied to the deposit.
Visiting Students Only (i.e. if you are a student at a University other than UC Berkeley): Within 24 hours of submitting your application, you will receive an email from UC Berkeley asking you to set up your university credentials; this email does NOT constitute admission to the program. Please follow the instructions in the email. Once you have completed the necessary steps, please go to CalCentral to pay your $400 deposit. If you fail to make the $400 deposit within 48 hours of application submission, your application will be canceled.
Withdrawing Your Application
If you choose to withdraw your Summer Abroad application, you must 1) speak to your program advisor and 2) submit a Program Enrollment Change Form via the online application portal.
Entrepreneurship and Innovation in Europe only: If you choose to withdraw your application before April 4, 2021, you must submit a Program Enrollment Change Form via your Berkeley Study Abroad application portal. The $400 deposit is non-refundable.
Canceling Your Participation
To withdraw your participation, please 1) speak to your program advisor and 2) complete and submit a Program Enrollment Change Form on your online application portal.
Entrepreneurship and Innovation in Europe only: To withdraw your participation, submit a Program Enrollment Change Form via your online application portal no later than 11:59 p.m. PST on April 4, 2021. If you cancel or withdraw your participation by April 4, 2021, you will not be charged the program fee but will still be responsible for the $400 deposit. Please note that if you request to withdraw your application prior to an admission decision being issued, the $400 deposit remains non-refundable. If you withdraw or cancel after April 4, 2021 - then you will owe the remaining program fee as well.
Please note: Writing an email or talking to a program staff is not considered an official withdrawal request (you must also submit the form). Additionally, incomplete or missing confirmation forms do not qualify as an official cancellation.