Before you apply, we recommend doing the following:
• Come to drop-in advising hours every Monday from 1 pm - 5 pm at 160 Stephens Hall or Wednesday from 1-5 pm by appointment. Please email firstname.lastname@example.org to set up an appointment.
• Obtain a valid passport with an expiration date beyond February 2021 and research any travel documentation you need to travel abroad.
• Speak to a financial aid advisor every Monday, Tuesday, Thursday, and Friday from 1 pm - 3 pm at 160 Stephens Hall about study abroad funding.
The online Global Internships application requires:
1. A 200 - 500 statement of interest that focuses on a) What do you hope to gain through your internship experience and how does this program fits into your academic plans, future education and/or career goals? b) What type of internship you are looking for (Please do not request a specific employer, but rather indicate the kind of work and the type of skills you would like to gain).
2. (International locations only) A 250-word response to the following question: Studying abroad can be a challenging experience that pushes you outside of your comfort zone. What challenges do you foresee for yourself? How will you prepare for these challenges abroad?
3. (International locations only) A 250-word response to the following question: “What does being a cultural ambassador mean to you? How do you plan to represent yourself and Berkeley in your time abroad?”
4. A copy of your most recent college transcript (unofficial or official). Transcripts must have your name, the name of your college, courses in progress, and current GPA. A screenshot of your CalCentral account is acceptable.
5. A copy of your resume formatted to the specific location you are applying to. See resume instructions and templates here for more information.
6. A signed Student Agreement.
7. A signed student Waiver of Liability.
8. A $400 deposit. If accepted to the program, the $400 deposit is non-refundable and will be applied towards your program fee. If you are waitlisted or denied admission to the program, your deposit will be refunded. If you request to withdraw your application prior to an admission decision being issued or cancel your participation after being accepted to the program, the deposit remains non-refundable.
Please note that for continuing UC Berkeley students, the deposit will be charged to your CalCentral account at the time you apply. Financial aid eligible students can wait until their summer aid is disbursed to pay the deposit but remain responsible for the full deposit if they withdraw their application before an application decision is issued, or withdraw their participation from the program after acceptance. Any payments made to CalCentral will be applied towards outstanding fees prior to being applied to the deposit.
*Please note, there may be additional requirements or prerequisites for the specific program you select; please check the location-specific web page for details.
*Spring 2020 Graduating UC Berkeley Students: If you are a UC Berkeley student who is currently scheduled to graduate at the end of Spring 2020, you must apply as a visiting student. According to University policy, you will no longer be considered a UC Berkeley student for the Summer term once you have graduated. Please do not attempt to apply as a UC Berkeley student, as this will have negative implications on access to your UC Berkeley accounts. As a visiting student, you will be charged with visiting student tuition and be ineligible for any UC Berkeley Financial Aid.
If you would like to be considered a UC Berkeley student for Summer 2020, please talk to your college advisor about switching your expected graduation date from Spring 2020 to Summer before continuing with this application. If you are eligible for aid, please also speak to Financial Aid about the financial implications of this decision.
UC Berkeley students: The $400 deposit will be charged to your CalCentral account at the time you apply. Financial aid eligible students can wait until their summer aid is disbursed to pay the deposit. Any payments made to CalCentral will be applied towards outstanding fees prior to being applied to the deposit.
Visiting students only (ie. if you are a student at a University other than UC Berkeley): Within 24 hours of submitting your application, you will receive an email from UC Berkeley asking you to set up your university credentials; this email does NOT constitute admission to the program. Please follow the instructions in the email. Once you have completed the necessary steps, please go to CalCentral to pay your $400 deposit. If you fail to make the $400 deposit within 48 hours of application submission, your application will be canceled.
Completed applications are due no later than February 17, 2020. All applications are reviewed by Berkeley Study Abroad in the order they are received. Applicants will be notified of their admission status by email no later than March 20, 2020.
Admitted Students: If you are admitted into your program, you will receive a welcome packet by no later than March 20, 2020. All confirmation documents must be submitted to the Berkeley Study Abroad application portal by 5 pm PST on April 3, 2020.
Waitlisted Students: If you are placed on the waitlist, you will be notified via email no later than March 20, 2020. At that time you will need to do one of the following:
• Remain on the waitlist - no further action required.
• Switch to an open program. Before switching to an open program, you must verify that you meet the eligibility requirements for the program that you’re switching to. Once you have, please speak to your program advisor for your next steps.
• Withdraw your application from the waitlist. In this case, you will receive your $400 deposit back.
Withdrawing Your Application
If you choose to withdraw your Global Internships application before April 3, 2020, you must speak to your program advisor and submit a Program Enrollment Change Form via your Berkeley Study Abroad application portal. The $400 deposit is non-refundable.
Canceling Your Participation
To withdraw your participation, please 1) speak to your program adviser, and 2) complete and submit a Program Enrollment Change Form via your Berkeley Study Abroad application portal by no later than 5 p.m. PST on April 3, 2020. If you cancel or withdraw your participation by April 3, 2020, you will not be charged the program fee but will still be responsible for the $400 deposit. Please note that if you request to withdraw your application prior to an admission decision being issued, the $400 deposit remains non-refundable. If you withdraw or cancel after April 3, 2020 - then you will owe the remaining program fee as well. Please note: Writing an email or talking to the program staff is not considered an official withdrawal request. Additionally, incomplete or missing confirmation forms do not qualify as an official cancellation.