Berkeley Summer Abroad offers intensive summer programs built around Berkeley courses and led by Berkeley faculty.
• Earn Berkeley credit (or UC credit for visiting students) while diving deep into a topic with an international focus.
• Experience other cultures through sustained and interactive engagement with on the ground communities, virtual excursions, and virtual cultural activities.
• Courses can satisfy Breadth Requirements and/or Major/Minor Requirements. See individual program pages for more details.
Berkeley Summer Abroad programs are open to all University of California students, visiting students from other colleges and universities, international students, and adults.
What is a Virtual Study Abroad program?
2021 Virtual Summer Abroad locations, dates, and costs will be updated in late Fall.
Sign up for our newsletter to receive program updates.
• Applications open February 1, 2021.
• Open to Berkeley students and visitors. Space is limited. All applications are reviewed on a first-come, first-served basis.
• Join one of our Virtual Summer Abroad Program Information Sessions.
• Watch this virtual info session!
For advising information, visit the Summer Abroad Advising page.
Below is a list of in-person Summer Abroad programs that have run in the past. Please note that if these programs run again, the dates and fees are subject to change.
• Bahia, Brazil: Afro-Feminism, Dance, and Brazil
• Barcelona, Spain: The Other Side/El Otro Lado
• Berlin, Germany: Mathematics in Berlin
• Cusco, Peru: The Archaeology of the Incas
• Geneva, Switzerland: Business Innovation for Sustainability, Social Responsibility and Positive Impact
• Guardamar, Spain: Imagining and Re-Envisioning the Urban Setting
• Madrid, Spain: Spanish Language and Culture
• Manila, Philippines: Narratives of Tradition and Resistance
• Mexico City, Mexico: Gender, Sexuality, and Cultural Production
• Mexico City, Mexico: Mexican Art of the 20th Century
• Netherlands and Belgium: History, Art, and Identity in Europe
• Paris, France: French Language, Culture, and History
• Portugal: Entrepreneurship and Innovation in Europe
• Trieste and Venice, Italy: Italian Language and Culture