The Berkeley Study Abroad application for the Mo'orea Spring 2023 Island Sustainability program at the Gump Station in Mo'orea, French Polynesia will be open to UC Berkeley students on August 1, 2022.
Applications are reviewed on a rolling basis in the order of application submission. We encourage applicants to apply as early as possible in the application window of August 1 - October 17, 2022. If your application is incomplete or requires correction, your application timestamp will be updated to the date/time your application becomes complete. If the program becomes full prior to the final application deadline, the application will be closed to further applications. Candidates typically receive an admission decision within four weeks of submitting an application, and no later than October 24, 2022.
The final application deadline is Monday, October 17, 2022 at 11:59 pm Pacific time.
The Island Sustainability Program is comprised of a 14-week semester of five inter-related ESPM courses. Some of the courses run consecutively, some concurrently. The five courses are completed over 14 weeks; 10 weeks split between Tetiaroa Atoll, Temae Beach, and the UC Gump South Pacific Research Station on the north shore of Moorea, 1 week for Spring Break, and 3 weeks of independent study that will be completed remotely. Students will have online access to Instructors during this time.
Students from all academic disciplines will be considered for this program, but preference will be given to students who have completed at least one lower division class from the following: biology, ecology, environmental studies, or environmental science.
Please note,due to the interrelated nature of the program coursework, this program will not be suitable for students in need of the DSP accomodation of a reduced course load.
Confirm Your Eligibility
To be eligible to participate in the program you must:
- • Be a current matriculated UCB student
- • Have at least Junior Standing by Spring 2023
- • Have a 2.5 GPA or higher
- • Be at least 18 years old by January 14, 2023
- • Have a passport valid with an expiration date after June 30, 2023
- • Have proof of complete Covid-19 vaccination (French Polynesia requirement)
Get Major/College Advising
All program courses are taken for Berkeley credit and will appear automatically on your Berkeley transcript. Students are advised to review the program coursework prior to applying for the Mo’orea Spring 2022 program to ensure all programmatic components align with their academic background and educational goals. Some majors and colleges have pre-approved courses work for major and breadth credit and a guide can be found here. If you don't see your major or college on the guide, contact your departmental and college advisers to discuss the possibility of receiving credit toward requirements. Draft syllabi can be found here (coming soon).
Get Financial Aid Advising
Financial aid is available for eligible students who have completed a 2022-2023 FAFSA. You are encouraged to request an estimated financial aid package based on the program budget via the form provided on the BSA Financial Aid Advising page. All financial aid counseling for study abroad will be offered remotely during Fall 2022. After receiving an estimate, you can write to firstname.lastname@example.org with your questions.
The Mo'orea Spring application requires:
1. Online application form(s) including but not limited to Applicant Information, Educational Background and Program Advisories
2. Document Upload: CalCentral Academic Summary (unofficial UC Berkeley transcript)
3. Document Upload: (Transfer Students Only) Unofficial transcripts for all institutions listed on your Transfer Credit Report
4. Document Upload: Statement of Purpose (limit of 1 page) describing why you want to take the course and how it relates to your previous experiences and future goals
5. Document Upload: CV or Resume
6. Document Upload: Passport copy showing expiration date of July 2023 or beyond
7. Optional Letter of Recommendation (electronic request sent via application system to your recommender for upload)
Applicants typically receive an admission decision within four weeks of submitting an application, and no later than October 24, 2022.
Canceling Your Application or Participation
To cancel your participation in the Mo’orea Spring 2022 program before departure please log into your BSA Portal and complete the Request to Cancel form. Talking to program staff about your intention to cancel, or sending a request via email is not considered an official request. Please be sure to review the cancellation policy carefully for details on deadlines and fees.
Students may cancel without penalty through November 29, 2022. Students that cancel on or after November 30, 2022 will be liable for a $500 non-refundable fee.
Campus rules and policies apply to tuition. To read more about cancellation and withdrawal, please visit http://registrar.berkeley.edu/how-to-enroll-in-classes/cancellation-wit… for more information.