The Berkeley Study Abroad application for the Mo'orea Spring 2022 Island Sustainability program at the Gump Station in Mo'orea, French Polynesia is currently open to UC Berkeley students. The application deadline is Monday, October 4, 2021 at 11:59 pm Pacific time.
The Island Sustainability Program is comprised of a 15-week semester of five inter-related ESPM courses. Some of the courses run consecutively, some concurrently. Participants will spend 11 weeks at the UC Gump South Pacific Research Station on the north shore of Moorea, then engage in a 4-week capstone project that will be completed remotely. Students will have online access to Instructors during this time.
Students from all academic disciplines will be considered for this program, but preference will be given to students who have completed at least one lower division class in biology, ecology, environmental studies, or environmental science.
Confirm Your Eligibility
To be eligible to participate in the program you must:
- • Be a current matriculated UCB student
- • Have at least Junior Standing by Spring 2022
- • Have a 2.5 GPA or higher
- • Be at least 18 years old by January 2, 2022
- • Have a passport valid with an expiration date after September 30, 2022
- • Have proof of complete Covid-19 vaccination (French Polynesia requirement)
Get Major/College Advising
All program courses are taken for Berkeley credit and will appear automatically on your Berkeley transcript. Students are advised to review the program coursework prior to applying for the Mo’orea Spring 2022 program to ensure all programmatic components align with their academic background and educational goals. Some majors and colleges have pre-approved courses work for major and breadth credit and a guide can be found here. If you don't see your major or college on the guide, contact your departmental and college advisers to discuss the possibility of receiving credit toward requirements. Draft syllabi can be found here (coming soon).
Get Financial Aid Advising
Financial aid is available for eligible students who have completed a 2021-2022 FAFSA. You are encouraged to meet with a Berkeley Study Abroad financial aid counselor to review your estimated financial aid package based on the program budget. All financial aid counseling for study abroad will be offered remotely during Fall 2021. Check the advising schedule for additional information, or write to firstname.lastname@example.org with your questions.
The Mo'orea Spring application requires:
1. Online application form(s) including but not limited to Applicant Information, Educational Background and Program Advisories
2. Document Upload: CalCentral Academic Summary (unofficial UC Berkeley transcript)
3. Document Upload: (Transfer Students Only) Unofficial transcripts for all institutions listed on your Transfer Credit Report
4. Document Upload: Statement of Purpose (limit of 1 page) describing why you want to take the course and how it relates to your previous experiences and future goals
5. Document Upload: CV or Resume
6. Document Upload: Passport copy showing expiration date of October 2022 or beyond
7. Optional Letter of Recommendation (electronic request sent via application system to your recommender for upload)
Students will receive confirmation of their acceptance to the Mo’orea Spring 2022 program by Monday, October 18, 2021, via email from the Mo’orea Spring 2022 program staff.
Canceling Your Application or Participation
To cancel your participation in the Mo’orea Spring 2022 program before departure please log into your BSA Portal and complete the Request to Cancel form. Talking to program staff about your intention to cancel, or sending a request via email is not considered an official request. Please be sure to review the cancellation policy carefully for details on deadlines and fees.
Cancellation Policy and Fees