Berkeley Summer Abroad Summer Abroad online applications will open February 01, 2018 at 9 AM PST, and close March 9, 2018. Applications are on a first-come, first-served basis and you will be notified of your admissions status in March 2018.
Before you apply to a Summer Abroad program, we recommend doing the following:
• Come to drop-in advising hours every Monday from 1 pm - 5 pm at 160 Stephens Hall or set up an advising appointment by emailing firstname.lastname@example.org.
• Obtain a valid passport with an expiration date beyond February 2019 and research any travel documentation you need to travel abroad
• Speak to a financial aid adviser at 160 Stephens Hall about study abroad funding
The online Summer Abroad application requires:
1. A 200 - 500 statement of interest that focuses on why you chose your specific study abroad program and any cross-cultural or international experiences you have.
2. A copy of your most recent college transcript (unofficial or official). Transcripts must have your name, the name of your college, courses in progress, and current GPA.
4. A signed student waiver of liability.
5. A non-refundable $400 deposit (payable by credit or debit card only). The $400 deposit will be applied towards the program fee and cannot be waived.
Spring 2018 Graduating UC Berkeley Students: If you are a UC Berkeley student who is currently scheduled to graduate at the end of Spring 2018, you must apply as a visiting student. According to University policy, you will no longer be considered a UC Berkeley student for the Summer term once you have graduated. Please do not attempt to apply as a UC Berkeley student, as this will have negative implications on access to your UC Berkeley accounts. As a visiting student, you will be charged visiting student tuition and be ineligible for any UC Berkeley Financial Aid.
If you would like to be considered a UC Berkeley student for Summer 2018, please talk to your college advisor about switching your expected graduation date from Spring 2018 to Summer 2018 PRIOR to continuing with this application. If you are eligible for aid, please also speak to Financial Aid about the financial implications of this decision.
UC Berkeley students: The non-refundable deposit of $400 will be charged to your CalCentral account. The deposit will be due as soon as it appears on your account. Please note, you will accrue late fees if you do not pay the deposit by the due date stated on CalCentral. Any payments made to CalCentral will be applied towards outstanding fees prior to being applied to the deposit.
Visiting students: Within 24 hours of submitting your application, you will receive an email from UC Berkeley asking you to set up your university credentials; this email does NOT constitute admission to the program. Please follow the instructions in the email. Once you have completed the necessary steps, please go to CalCentral to pay your non-refundable $400 deposit. If you fail to make the $400 deposit within 48 hours of application submission, your application will be canceled.
Applications period is now closed
Admitted Students: If you are admitted into your Summer Abroad program, you will receive a welcome packet by no later than March 23, 2018. All confirmation documents must be submitted to the Berkeley Study Abroad portal by 5 pm PST on April 6, 2018.
Waitlisted Students: If you are placed on the waitlist, you will be notified via email no later than March 23, 2018. At that time you will need to do one of the following:
• Remain on the waitlist - no further action required.
• Switch to an open program. Before switching to an open program, you must verify that you meet the eligibility requirements for the program that you are switching into. Once you have verified eligibility, speak to your program adviser for next steps.
• Withdraw your application from the waitlist
Withdrawing Your Application
If you choose to withdraw your Summer Abroad application, submit a Program Enrollment Change Form by no later than 5 p.m. on April 6, 2018. Please note that the $400 deposit is non-refundable. If you cancel after April 6, 2018, then you will owe the remaining program fee.
Canceling Your Participation
To withdraw your participation, please complete and submit a Program Enrollment Change Form by no later than 5 p.m. PST on April 6, 2018. Please note that the $400 deposit is non-refundable. If you cancel after April 6, 2018 - then you will owe the remaining program fee.
Writing an email or talking to a program staff is not considered an official request. Additionally, incomplete or missing confirmation forms do not qualify as an official cancellation.