Berkeley Summer Abroad Summer Abroad online applications will open February 03, 2020 at 9 AM PST, and closes March 15, 2020. Applications are on a first-come, first-served basis unless noted otherwise on the program-specific page, and you will be notified of your admissions status i by the first week of April 2020.
Before you apply to a Summer Abroad program, we recommend doing the following:
• Come to drop-in advising hours every Monday from 1 pm - 5 pm at 160 Stephens Hall or set up an advising appointment by emailing firstname.lastname@example.org.
• Obtain a valid passport with an expiration date beyond February 2021 and research any travel documentation you need to travel abroad
• Speak to a financial aid adviser every Monday, Tuesday, Thursday, and Friday from 1 pm - 3 pm at 160 Stephens Hall about study abroad funding
The online Summer Abroad application requires:
1. A 250-500 word statement of interest that focuses on the following question: “Why did you choose your specific study abroad program? (e.g. What are your academic goals for this program? What do you hope to learn? Why is this program a good fit for you?)”
2. A 250-word response to the following question: “Studying abroad can be a challenging experience that pushes you outside of your comfort zone. What challenges do you foresee for yourself? How will you prepare for these challenges abroad?”
3. A 250-word response to the following question: “What does being a cultural ambassador mean to you? How do you plan to represent yourself and Berkeley in your time abroad?”
4. A copy of your most recent college transcript (unofficial or official). Transcripts must have your name, the name of your college, courses in progress, and current GPA.
7. A $400 deposit. If accepted to the program, the $400 deposit is non-refundable and will be applied towards your program fee. If you are waitlisted or denied admission to the program, your deposit will be refunded. If you request to withdraw your application prior to an admission decision being issued or cancel your participation after being accepted to the program, the deposit remains non-refundable.
Please note that for continuing UC Berkeley students, the deposit will be charged to your CalCentral account at the time you apply. Financial aid eligible students can wait until their summer aid is disbursed to pay the deposit but remain responsible for the full deposit if they withdraw their application before an application decision is issued, or withdraw their participation from the program after acceptance. Any payments made to CalCentral will be applied towards outstanding fees prior to being applied to the deposit.
*Please note, there may be additional essay questions, requirements or prerequisites for the specific program you select; please check the location-specific web page for details.
Spring 2020 Graduating UC Berkeley Students: If you are a UC Berkeley student who is currently scheduled to graduate at the end of Spring 2020, you must apply as a visiting student. According to University policy, you will no longer be considered a UC Berkeley student for the Summer term once you have graduated. Please do not attempt to apply as a UC Berkeley student, as this will have negative implications on access to your UC Berkeley accounts. As a visiting student, you will be charged with visiting student tuition and be ineligible for any UC Berkeley Financial Aid.
IMPORTANT for Graduating Seniors: If you would like to be considered a UC Berkeley student for Summer 2020, please talk to your college advisor about switching your expected graduation date from Spring 2020 to Summer 2020 PRIOR to continuing with this application. If you are eligible for aid, please also speak to Financial Aid about the financial implications of this decision.
UC Berkeley students: The $400 deposit will be charged to your CalCentral account at the time you apply. Financial aid eligible students can wait until their summer aid is disbursed to pay the deposit but remain responsible for the full deposit if they withdraw their application before an application decision is issued, or withdraw their participation from the program after acceptance. Any payments made to CalCentral will be applied towards outstanding fees prior to being applied to the deposit.
Visiting Students Only (i.e. if you are a student at a University other than UC Berkeley): Within 24 hours of submitting your application, you will receive an email from UC Berkeley asking you to set up your university credentials; this email does NOT constitute admission to the program. Please follow the instructions in the email. Once you have completed the necessary steps, please go to CalCentral to pay your $400 deposit. If you fail to make the $400 deposit within 48 hours of application submission, your application will be canceled.
Admitted Students: If you are admitted into your Summer Abroad program, you will receive a welcome packet by no later than March 20, 2020. All confirmation documents must be submitted to the Berkeley Study Abroad portal by 5 pm PST on April 3, 2020.
Waitlisted Students: If you are placed on the waitlist, you will be notified via email no later than March 20, 2020. At that time you will need to do one of the following:
• Remain on the waitlist - no further action required.
• Switch to an open program. Before switching to an open program, you must verify that you meet the eligibility requirements for the program that you are switching to. Once you have verified eligibility, speak to your program adviser for the next steps.
• Withdraw your application from the waitlist. In this case, you will receive your $400 deposit back.
Withdrawing Your Application
If you choose to withdraw your Summer Abroad application, you must 1) speak to your program advisor and 2) submit a Program Enrollment Change Form via the online application portal by no later than 5 p.m. on April 3, 2020. Please note that the $400 deposit is non-refundable if you are accepted and choose to withdraw. If you cancel after April 3, 2020, then you will also owe the remaining program fee.
Canceling Your Participation
To withdraw your participation, please 1) speak to your program advisor and 2) complete and submit a Program Enrollment Change Form on your online application portal by no later than 5 p.m. PST on April 3, 2020. If you cancel or withdraw your participation by April 3, 2020, you will not be charged the program fee but will still be responsible for the $400 deposit. Please note that if you request to withdraw your application prior to an admission decision being issued, the $400 deposit remains non-refundable. If you withdraw or cancel after April 3, 2020 - then you will owe the remaining program fee as well.
Please note: Writing an email or talking to a program staff is not considered an official withdrawal request (you must also submit the form). Additionally, incomplete or missing confirmation forms do not qualify as an official cancellation.