The College of Chemistry has provided information for students who plan to study abroad. Review your department’s responses to the Major Advising Questionnaires below, then contact the department directly with any additional questions.


"Through this experience, I've learned to celebrate cultural difference and diversity as one of our most precious resources." -Andrew Mazzone, Chemical Biology Major


Advising Resources


Study Abroad Information on the Chemistry Website

Chemistry  Advising Contact Information


Major-Specific Info

The College of Chemistry encourages our Chemical Engineering, Chemical Biology, and Chemistry undergraduate students to add an international dimension to their education by participating in Berkeley Study Abroad (BSA). Study at top universities throughout the world including Hong Kong University of Science and Technology, University of Queensland, Australia, Lund University, Sweden, University of Sussex, England, University of Waikato, New Zealand, and Osaka University, Japan. College of Chemistry majors will find study abroad to be an enriching educational and life experience!

Why study abroad?

Studying abroad allows our majors to broaden their horizons and gain an international perspective. Students can take advantage of these opportunities to learn about and participate in the developing research in other countries. Study abroad will help students:

- Develop skills that are critical to a science education

- Take advantage of unique academic and experiential opportunities in Chemical Engineering, Chemical Biology and Chemistry

- Participate in a different educational system and get a comparative perspective on the study of Chemistry

- Increase language proficiency

- Improve critical thinking skills

- Experience another culture firsthand

- Develop self-confidence and independence

- Enhance resumes and/or applications for graduate school

- Prepare for a career in an internationally competitive world

When can I study abroad?

While it is possible for College of Chemistry students to go abroad at almost any point in their academic careers, the particular semester, summer, or year that you study abroad depends on what courses you plan to take and where you are in your major.

Visit your College of Chemistry advisor in Room 121 Gilman Hall. Your advisor can help you determine when would be the best time to fit an education abroad experience into your academic schedule.

What classes can I take and where can I study?

College of Chemistry students planning to complete a portion of their major abroad have a wide variety of options. Many of BSA’s partner universities have specific Chemistry departments/programs or offer relevant courses through other science departments.

You can meet with your College Advisor to determine if your Berkeley Study Abroad courses will satisfy major or college requirements. Keep in mind that this experience may well be worth your time, even if your BSA courses do not fulfill major or college requirements.

Our students have taken a wide variety of courses all around the world. Some examples are: Marine Biology in Australia, Physical Chemistry in Hong Kong, Kinetics and Catalysis in Scotland, Analytical Chemistry in New Zealand, Chemical Research in Sweden, Nanotechnology in Japan, and numerous language immersion courses in all parts of the globe.


Berkeley Programs Questionnaire


Does your department currently sponsor a Berkeley Summer Abroad or Berkeley Global Internships program?


Do any courses offered on a Berkeley Summer Abroad or Berkeley Global Internships program currently satisfy requirements within your major?



UCEAP Programs Questionnaire


What is the maximum amount of major credit given for courses taken during UCEAP? Is this maximum calculated by number of courses or by units of credit?

There is no maximum.

Does your department maintain a list of courses previously awarded credit on UCEAP and/or a list of pre-approved courses for UCEAP programs? How do students access this information?

Not currently, but coming soon. In the meantime, please contact the undergraduate adviser for more information.

Does your department have a 4-year or 2-year plan available to students that incorporates semester or year-length study abroad? How do students access this information?


What is the process in your department to have courses evaluated? What materials must be submitted? What is the timeframe for response?

Students must submit a syllabus to the undergraduate adviser. The course will be evaluated by the Undergraduate Dean or the Professor that teaches the course. The timeframe for response can be 1-2 weeks.

Are students in your department able to undertake a senior honors thesis the semester following UCEAP participation?

If students are graduating and have 8 units of Honors Research they may submit an Honors Thesis.

Does your department calculate UCEAP grades into departmental GPA?


Are UCEAP grades counted towards departmental honors?


If you represent a department which teaches foreign language, does your department award major credit for the courses taken during the Intensive Language Program (ILP) portion of the UCEAP program?


Does the undergraduate adviser sign the UCEAP academic planning form, or must a faculty adviser sign?

The undergraduate adviser.

Does your department place Academic holds on declared majors prior to each registration period? If yes, what is your departmental policy on releasing advising holds for students currently abroad on UCEAP (e.g. is advising possible via email, skype, etc.)?

Yes. We can release holds by advising via email, skype, etc.

Do you have any department specific advice for students participating on a UCEAP program in their last term at Berkeley?

Students should meet with the undergraduate adviser for a degree check to ensure they are on track for graduation.


Independent Programs Questionnaire


Have any Independent programs been approved by your department and the Study Abroad Advisory board for credit in the major?


Are there any pre-approved courses for your major from other UC summer abroad programs (UCLA, UCD, etc.)?


What is the process to have a course from an Independent study abroad program evaluated for your major?

Students must submit a syllabus to the undergraduate adviser. The course will be evaluated by the Undergraduate Dean or the Professor that teaches the course.