Coronavirus (COVID-19): The safety and well-being of our students is our top priority. Please see current information and updates related to study abroad programs.

Berkeley Study Abroad is currently offering virtual services. Please see our Advising Schedule for more information.

UCEAP - How to apply

The Berkeley Study Abroad application for UCEAP programs in the 2020-21 academic year will open on Tuesday, October 15, 2019. 

Deadlines for each individual program are found via the Explore tool.

You may apply for only one UCEAP program per term. See the “Special circumstances requiring permission to apply” section below for additional details on this and other application policies.

UCEAP applications are not evaluated on a first-come, first-served basis unless specifically noted in the "Rolling deadlines" section below. Students are typically notified of selection status within eight weeks of the application deadline.


Before you apply


Before you apply to a UCEAP program, we expect you to complete the following:

• Research the program on the UCEAP website.

• Review the Advising Notes written by the BSA Adviser for your program.

• Determine that you are eligible to apply (GPA, class standing, prerequisite courses, etc.).

• If you have questions regarding the program or your eligibility, come to UCEAP drop-in advising in 160 Stephens Hall, or set up an advising appointment by emailing the BSA Adviser for your program of interest.

• Discuss college or major credit for your proposed study abroad course list with your academic adviser(s).

• Review the UCEAP program budget and come to financial aid drop-in advising in 160 Stephens Hall to review your estimated financial aid awards for the program.

• Obtain a valid passport with an expiration date six months beyond your UCEAP program end date (18 months for Russia).

Passport preparation


If you already have a passport, do the following:

1. Check the expiration date. If it is not 6 months beyond the end date of the program that interests you (18 months for Russia), you must apply for a renewed passport right away.

2. Check to make sure that you signed your passport. If your passport is not in Berkeley, ask someone to send it to you in a trackable manner in case it gets lost. You need to have it in your possession.

3. Photos of your passport are not acceptable. You must use a real scanning machine (not a smartphone) to scan it when you are required to upload it, either at the time of application or during the pre-departure process.

4. If you are a dual citizen, plan to upload both passports, so get them ready.


If you do not have a passport, how and where to apply:  

On average, it will take 1.5 to 3 months to complete the passport application process. First-time passport applicants must submit evidence of U.S. Citizenship (for example, an original birth certificate,) which can be time-consuming to obtain. Passport application instructions are available on the U.S. Department of State website.

You may be required to apply for a passport in person at a Passport Acceptance Facility. The Recreational Sports Facility (RSF) at 2301 Bancroft Way, (on the Berkeley Campus) and the Berkeley Main Post Office at Allston and Milvia, both process passports. For additional locations, see the U.S. Department of State website above.

After applying for a passport, you can check the status of your application here.

Visa and citizenship information for non-US citizens


Obtaining a student visa as a non-US citizen

Contact your host country’s consulate immediately to determine their requirements for you to obtain a student visa for the length of your study abroad program. The visa process may take several months longer than for U.S. citizens. If necessary, check to see if you will need to extend the expiration date on your re-entry permit to return to the U.S. after your study abroad program ends.


UCEAP host institutions or countries with citizenship restrictions and/or advisories:

China, All programs

• For all UCEAP China programs, stateless or refugee citizens cannot apply.

•  If you are a dual citizen of the United States and China, the Chinese government will usually not permit the U.S. Embassy to provide consular assistance to you unless you entered China on a U.S. passport with a valid Chinese visa. Regardless of your travel documents, if you are a dual citizen, or otherwise have ethnic or historical ties to China, it is possible that Chinese authorities will assert that you are a Chinese citizen and deny your access to U.S. consular representatives if you are detained.

•  If you are a naturalized U.S. citizen or have a possible claim to Chinese citizenship, and you are traveling to China, inform yourself about Chinese law and practices relating to determination and loss of Chinese citizenship. Chinese authorities generally consider a child born in China to at least one Chinese parent to be a Chinese citizen, even if the child was issued a U.S. passport at the time of birth.

China, All programs associated with Fudan University

• Students with PRC, Hong Kong, Macau, and Taiwan passports are allowed to apply but cannot stay in Fudan University dormitories and should be prepared to live off campus. 

China, All programs associated with Peking University

• PKU does not accept students who only have a PRC, Hong Kong, Macau, or Taiwan passport. Dual passport holders are okay.

China, Tsinghua University

• Tsinghua does not accept students who only have PRC, Hong Kong, Macau, or Taiwan passport or ID. Dual passport holders are okay.

Hong Kong, Summer Global Internship, Hong Kong

• Due to Hong Kong Immigration visa requirements, citizens of Afghanistan, Cuba, Laos, North Korea, and Nepal are not eligible for the program. PRC citizens must have completed at least two years of university outside of the mainland and plan to return to UC after the program ends.

Israel, All programs

• Students who were born in Israel, born to Israeli parents, were previously an Israeli citizen, or are a dual citizen, must contact an Israeli consulate or embassy as soon as possible regarding their plans to study in Israel. A military release may be required before departure.

Japan, Semester/Year programs

• Due to Japanese regulation, if you have Japanese citizenship you must apply for this program as a Japanese citizen, even if you have dual nationality with another country. You will need to submit a copy of your valid Japanese passport.

Korea, Semester/Year programs

• Students who have American citizenship but whose parents were born in Korea will be considered Korean citizens by the Korean Embassy. Students should contact the Korean Embassy regarding their ability to obtain a Korean visa. Start the process right away as it can be lengthy.

• Students with Korean citizenship must apply for this program as a Korean citizen, even if they have dual nationality with another country. Male students who have Korean citizenship either by birth or blood can be conscripted into the Korean military if they are 18-36 years old and have not satisfied their Korean military service requirement. Check with the Korean Embassy for more information.

Multi Site, Global Cities Urban Realities (Spring Semester with Internship)

• Non-US citizens, contact your Berkeley Study Abroad Adviser (Michelle Ayazi, to discuss visa considerations. Certain non-US citizens will need to apply for a visa to France and a visa for the UK in a short period of time and will need to plan carefully. 

Russia, All programs

• Male students who have Russian citizenship or who were born in Russia and did not formally renounce their Russian citizenship can be conscripted into the Russian military if they are 18-27 years old and have not satisfied their Russian military service requirement. Check with the U.S. State Department or the Russian Government for more information on this issue.

• Students (male and female) who have both Russian and American citizenship, or who have American citizenship but were born in Russia, should also contact the U.S. State Department or the Russian Government regarding their ability to obtain a Russian visa with an American passport. Applicants who fall into any of these categories should notify the Berkeley Study Abroad Adviser ( and UCEAP Russia Operations Specialist ( immediately.

Singapore, Science & Engineering Internship, Agency for Science, Technology & Research (A*STAR)

• A*STAR will only accept applications from U.S. citizens.

Singapore, Global Summer Internship, Singapore

• Due to Singapore Immigration visa requirements, students must be between the age of 18 and 25 for the duration of the program.

Singapore, All programs

• Notify your Berkeley Study Abroad Adviser (Marie Bartz, immediately if you currently hold or have ever held Singaporean citizenship. You may be required to submit additional paperwork.

• All male citizens and permanent residents of Singapore are required to register for military training (National Service) upon reaching the age of 16. Contact the Singaporean Embassy for more information, if you fall into this category. 

Sweden, All programs

• Certain non-US citizens will need to travel to the Swedish Embassy in Washington DC to have their biometrics taken in order to finalize their residence permit applications prior to departure.

Taiwan, Chinese in Tapei

• NTNU does not accept students who only have a PRC passport or ID. Dual passport holders are okay.

Taiwan, National Taiwan Univ. (NTU)

• NTU does not accept students who only have a Taiwanese passport or ID. Dual passport holders are okay.

United Kingdom - Scotland, Intern: Scotland

• After acceptance to the program (during the placement process) you will complete a BUNAC online application. If you are a non-US citizen and provided UC Berkeley with an alternate language test to gain admission, please submit that in place of an IELTS certificate. BUNAC will review and inform you if they require any further proof of English language proficiency.

Rolling deadlines


The following UCEAP programs consider applicants on a rolling basis beginning November 15, 2019 at 9:00am PST, and ending on January 6, 2020 at 11:59 PST.

You can begin an application for these programs on October 15, 2019, but the system will not allow you to submit until the rolling application period opens. For complete details please read the Summer Physics Advising Notes.

The following list of programs have been approved by the UCB Physics department for summer 2020:

Australia: Sydney Summer Physics (returning program)

Cyprus: Nicosia Summer Physics (returning program)

*Hong Kong: Hong Kong Summer, HKUST (returning program)

Ireland: Cork Summer Physics (new program)

Ireland: Dublin Science And Engineering (returning program)

UK-Scotland: Glasgow Science And Engineering (returning program)

* Physics 8A and partial 8B credit (must take Physics 49 upon return to campus)

Special circumstances requiring permission to apply


If any of the circumstances below apply to you, contact the BSA Adviser for your UCEAP program via email or visit them in UCEAP drop-in advising.

1. If you wish to apply to two different UCEAP programs for the same term you must obtain approval from the BSA Adviser for EACH of the UCEAP programs. Typically approval to submit dual applications is granted only if one (or both) of the EAP programs is impacted, or if there is concern you will not meet the eligibility requirements for your first choice program. Desire for additional time to decide between UCEAP programs is not approved rationale for a dual application.

2. If you will not be enrolled in classes at Berkeley the semester prior to departure for your UCEAP program, you must obtain approval from the BSA Adviser for your UCEAP program. You are expected to be on-campus during the Spring semester prior to Summer/Fall/Academic Year programs, and during the Fall semester for Spring/Calendar Year programs.

3. If you wish to participate in consecutive UCEAP programs (i.e. “back-to-back” programs), you must obtain approval from the BSA Adviser for EACH of your UCEAP programs.

4. If you do not meet one or more eligibility requirements for your desired UCEAP program, you must obtain approval from the BSA Adviser to apply.

5. If you have dependents (e.g. a spouse, children, parent) that you wish to bring on the program, first review the UCEAP Guide to Study Abroad section for Students with Dependents and the list of UCEAP programs that Limit or Restrict Dependents and/or Traveling Companions. It is highly recommended that you meet with the BSA Adviser for your UCEAP program to discuss the viability of bringing a dependent abroad.

Scanning documents for upload to the UCEAP application


The application items that you upload to the UCEAP online application may be scanned using a photocopier or smartphone. If you are taking a photo with your phone, please ensure that your passport is lying completely flat, without other objects (such as a hand) in the image. It is also important that the entire image is in one document intact and no corners or numbers are cut off. If you are having trouble keeping your passport flat, you can place a piece of glass (such as from a picture frame) over it. We highly recommend using a scanning app for this, such as Genius Scan.

Application process


Please refer to the Explore tool for application deadlines. Applications submitted after the deadline will not be considered without pre-approval from a Berkeley Study Abroad Adviser.


Access the online application:

You will access the application through CalNet authentication. If you are unable to access the application through CalNet, do not attempt to create an account within the application system, it will create a duplicate record. Write to to request assistance with accessing the application.

Access or return to the 2020-21 Berkeley Study Abroad Application for UCEAP