Novel coronavirus: spring and summer programs in China have been suspended.

We are here to support students as they make decisions. Please speak with a study abroad adviser if you have questions or concerns.

Theater, Dance & Performance Studies

The Department of Theater, Dance, & Performance Studies has provided information for students who plan to study abroad. Review your department’s responses to the Major Advising Questionnaires below, then contact the department directly with any additional questions.


Advising Resources


Study Abroad for Theater, Dance and Performance Studies Majors (PDF) N/A

Study Abroad Information on the Theater, Dance, and Performance Studies Website N/A

Theater, Dance, and Performance Studies Advising Contact Information


Berkeley Programs Questionnaire


Does your department currently sponsor a Berkeley Summer Abroad or Berkeley Global Internships program?

Yes to both. Every other summer (2016, 2018, 2020, etc) we teach an acting and Irish Literature course in Ireland. We also participate in the Fall Global Freshman Program teaching a theater course in London, England.

Do any courses offered on a Berkeley Summer Abroad or Berkeley Global Internships program currently satisfy requirements within your major?

Theater 113A -- Performance Literature: Irish Theater: Origins and Contemporary Scene fulfills L&S Arts and Humanities Breadth and TDPS Majors’ Upper Division Performance Literature course. The London theater course fulfills L&S Arts and Humanities Breadth only.


UCEAP Programs Questionnaire


What is the maximum amount of major credit given for courses taken during UCEAP? Is this maximum calculated by number of courses or by units of credit?

8 Upper Division Units -- have not typically seen any lower division work that transfers back to TDPS.

Does your department maintain a list of courses previously awarded credit on UCEAP and/or a list of pre-approved courses for UCEAP programs? How do students access this information?

No -- students’ individual plans of study do not allow this information to be readily repeatable by others. A discussion with the TDPS UG Advisor can give suggested colleges or previous experiences of other students. You can also look through the MyEAP Course Catalog for courses offered in theater and dance abroad.

Does your department have a 4-year or 2-year plan available to students that incorporates semester or year-length study abroad? How do students access this information?

No such plans exist because of the variety of foci in our major. Students are encouraged to take a summer, semester, or year abroad to support their studies.

What is the process in your department to have courses evaluated? What materials must be submitted? What is the timeframe for response?

Students either present documentation before they go or after they return. This usually includes the syllabus, the written work, the booklist, and any other documents that show the scope and nature of the course. TDPS UG Advisor can evaluate it for elective equivalency. Faculty members teaching the equivalent course will be consulted to determine required course equivalency if needed.

Are students in your department able to undertake a senior honors thesis the semester following UCEAP participation?

Yes -- if you are well-organized and can do any final planning or coordinating from abroad.

Does your department calculate UCEAP grades into departmental GPA?

Yes, all grades are included in your overall GPA, which we consider the departmental GPA.

Are UCEAP grades counted towards departmental honors?

Yes, all grades are counted towards departmental honors.

If you represent a department which teaches foreign language, does your department award major credit for the courses taken during the Intensive Language Program (ILP) portion of the UCEAP program?


Does the undergraduate adviser sign the UCEAP academic planning form, or must a faculty adviser sign?

Undergraduate Academic Advisor.

Does your department place Academic holds on declared majors prior to each registration period? If yes, what is your departmental policy on releasing advising holds for students currently abroad on UCEAP (e.g. is advising possible via email, skype, etc.)?

Yes. Advising is possible via email. Majors are required to keep a 2.0 GPA in their departmental coursework.

Do you have any department specific advice for students participating on a UCEAP program in their last term at Berkeley?

Make sure you have completed all required courses before going abroad your last semester.


Independent Programs Questionnaire


Have any Independent programs been approved by your department and the Study Abroad Advisory board for credit in the major?

Summer Programs coursework at American Conservatory Theater (ACT) is considered 4 units of elective credit. Make sure to send a copy of your transcript to the UCB Registrar so that coursework will come into your UCB transcript.

Are there any pre-approved courses for your major from other UC summer abroad programs (UCLA, UCD, etc.)?


What is the process to have a course from an Independent study abroad program evaluated for your major?

Look at the syllabus (course description, course requirements, reading list, topics covered) before the course (if available) and possibly the actual written and graded papers from the course after the course. Otherwise, present all of these materials after the course concludes to the Undergraduate Academic Advisor.