The Sociology Department has provided information for students participating in the UC Education Abroad Program (UCEAP). Students participating on other study abroad programs should contact the department directly for more information.
Study Abroad Questionnaire
- Is there a specific time frame in which students are required to declare a major in your department? If yes, when?
- Does the undergraduate adviser sign the UCEAP academic planning form, or must a faculty adviser sign?
The Undergraduate Adviser.
- Should students make an appointment to have their academic planning form signed in your department? If so, do they need to bring a transcript or any other supplemental materials with them to their appointment?
No appointment is necessary. Drop-in hours are M-F, 9-12 and 1-4pm. They simply need to bring the form filled out with them.
- What is the maximum amount of major credit given for courses taken during UCEAP? Is this maximum calculated by number of courses or by units of credit?
Students may "transfer" up to 6 courses to fulfill major requirements. This includes courses that were transferred from community college or other institutions.
- Are students in your department able to undertake a senior honors thesis the semester following UCEAP participation?
Our honors program is a Fall/Spring sequence that must be taken in that order during the students' senior year. If a student is studying abroad during their Junior year, they may submit the application for the Honors Thesis Program electronically via email if needed.
- Does your department calculate UCEAP grades into departmental GPA?
- Are UCEAP grades counted towards departmental honors?
- If you represent a department which teaches foreign language, does your department award major credit for the courses taken during the Intensive Language Program (ILP) portion of the UCEAP program?
- Does your department distribute a special information sheet for your majors which includes advice on how to articulate participation with UCEAP with the major?
- Does your department place Academic holds on declared majors prior to each registration period? If yes, what is your departmental policy on releasing advising holds for students currently abroad on UCEAP (e.g. is advising possible via email, skype, etc.)?
Sociology does place holds each semester on our declared majors prior to Phase 1. Students may e-mail department advisors directly with their intended class schedule and we can remove the hold electronically. E-mails may also be sent to firstname.lastname@example.org.