The Environmental Science, Policy, and Management Department has provided information for students participating in the UC Education Abroad Program (UCEAP). Students participating on other study abroad programs should contact the department directly for more information.
Department Handouts: Study Abroad for CNR Majors (PDF)
Study Abroad Questionnaire
- Is there a specific time frame in which students are required to declare a major in your department? If yes, when?
Students can declare the major anytime, as long as they have completed at least one semester at Cal, have completed the necessary pre-reqs for declaring, and are not in their final semester.
- Does the undergraduate adviser sign the UCEAP academic planning form, or must a faculty adviser sign?
The undergraduate adviser signs the UCEAP academic planning form.
- Should students make an appointment to have their academic planning form signed in your department? If so, do they need to bring a transcript or any other supplemental materials with them to their appointment?
It is recommended that students make an appointment using this link, but it is not required. Students may come during regular drop-in advising hours (MTuThF 9am-12pm, M-F 1-4p), except during Enrollment Advising periods (October and April each year). Students do not need to bring any other materials with them to this meeting.
- What is the maximum amount of major credit given for courses taken during UCEAP? Is this maximum calculated by number of courses or by units of credit?
Students may petition to have up to two relevant courses from abroad count towards their major requirements. Courses must be at least 3 semester units, must be taken for a letter grade, and must be approved by both an S&E faculty advisor and head faculty advisor.
- Are students in your department able to undertake a senior honors thesis the semester following UCEAP participation?
If students qualify for the CNR Honors Research Program, they may participate in that as long as they have at least two consecutive semesters to complete that program. Otherwise, S&E students may take their senior capstone course (ESPM 194B) either before or after their semester abroad.
- Does your department calculate UCEAP grades into departmental GPA?
- Are UCEAP grades counted towards departmental honors?
UCEAP grades are counted toward college honors.
- If you represent a department which teaches foreign language, does your department award major credit for the courses taken during the Intensive Language Program (ILP) portion of the UCEAP program?
- Does your department distribute a special information sheet for your majors which includes advice on how to articulate participation with UCEAP with the major?
- Does your department place Academic holds on declared majors prior to each registration period? If yes, what is your departmental policy on releasing advising holds for students currently abroad on UCEAP (e.g. is advising possible via email, skype, etc.)?
Yes, all CNR students, including those studying abroad, will receive an academic hold which prevents them from registering for the following term. The undergraduate advisor will email students in advance of their Phase I appointments requesting a proposed schedule for the following term. Once the student and advisor come to an agreement about the proposed schedule, the hold will be released so the student can enroll into their courses.