Novel coronavirus: spring and summer programs in China have been suspended.

We are here to support students as they make decisions. Please speak with a study abroad adviser if you have questions or concerns.

Social Welfare

The School of Social Welfare has provided information for students who plan to study abroad. Review your department’s responses to the Major Advising Questionnaires below, then contact the department directly with any additional questions.


Advising Resources


Study Abroad for Social Welfare Majors (PDF) N/A

Study Abroad Information on the Social Welfare Website N/A

Social Welfare Advising Contact Information



Berkeley Programs Questionnaire


Does your department currently sponsor a Berkeley Summer Abroad or Berkeley Global Internships program?


Do any courses offered on a Berkeley Summer Abroad or Berkeley Global Internships program currently satisfy requirements within your major?

Please contact major advisor to discuss.


UCEAP Programs Questionnaire


What is the maximum amount of major credit given for courses taken during UCEAP? Is this maximum calculated by number of courses or by units of credit?

This is determined on a case-by-case basis. Please contact the major advisor to discuss.

Does your department maintain a list of courses previously awarded credit on UCEAP and/or a list of pre-approved courses for UCEAP programs? How do students access this information?

We do not have a list at this time but encourage students to come and meet with the major advisor to discuss their options.

Does your department have a 4-year or 2-year plan available to students that incorporates semester or year-length study abroad? How do students access this information?

No. Please see advisor to develop a program plan that fits with your education goals and graduation timeline.

What is the process in your department to have courses evaluated? What materials must be submitted? What is the timeframe for response?

All core courses must be taken at UC Berkeley without exception. Students seeking elective credit while studying abroad should send the syllabus to the undergraduate major advisor. Our department Chair will review the content and we will respond within a two week timeframe.

Are students in your department able to undertake a senior honors thesis the semester following UCEAP participation?

Students who study abroad their junior year are eligible to apply for the Honors Thesis program their senior year. Students must be in residence at Cal during both semesters of their Senior year to participate in the Honors Thesis Program.

Does your department calculate UCEAP grades into departmental GPA?


Are UCEAP grades counted towards departmental honors?


If you represent a department which teaches foreign language, does your department award major credit for the courses taken during the Intensive Language Program (ILP) portion of the UCEAP program?


Does the undergraduate adviser sign the UCEAP academic planning form, or must a faculty adviser sign?

Undergraduate Adviser.

Does your department place Academic holds on declared majors prior to each registration period? If yes, what is your departmental policy on releasing advising holds for students currently abroad on UCEAP (e.g. is advising possible via email, skype, etc.)?


Do you have any department specific advice for students participating on a UCEAP program in their last term at Berkeley?

Make sure that all of your core requirements for the major are completed at UCB. If you’re planning on satisfying electives with UCEAP courses, make sure that they are reviewed by the department in advance. It is recommended that you meet with your major advisor at least once to develop a program plan.


Independent Programs Questionnaire


Have any Independent programs been approved by your department and the Study Abroad Advisory board for credit in the major?


Are there any pre-approved courses for your major from other UC summer abroad programs (UCLA, UCD, etc.)?

No. Courses are reviewed on a case-by-case basis.

What is the process to have a course from an Independent study abroad program evaluated for your major?

Students should send the syllabus to the undergraduate major advisor. Our department Chair will review the content and we will respond within a two week timeframe.