Novel coronavirus: spring and summer programs in China have been suspended.

We are here to support students as they make decisions. Please speak with a study abroad adviser if you have questions or concerns.


The Department of Scandinavian has provided information for students who plan to study abroad. Review your department’s responses to the Major Advising Questionnaires below, then contact the department directly with any additional questions.


Advising Resources


Study Abroad for Scandinavian Majors (PDF) N/A

Study Abroad Information on the Scandinavian Website

Scandinavian  Advising Contact Information


Berkeley Programs Questionnaire


Does your department currently sponsor a Berkeley Summer Abroad or Berkeley Global Internships program?


Do any courses offered on a Berkeley Summer Abroad or Berkeley Global Internships program currently satisfy requirements within your major?

None specified at present. Majors or minors planning to study abroad must consult in advance with the Student Services Advisor in the department of Scandinavian for a preliminary review of all potential coursework before they apply to a program.


UCEAP Programs Questionnaire


What is the maximum amount of major credit given for courses taken during UCEAP? Is this maximum calculated by number of courses or by units of credit?

Three courses (12 units) for each of the major concentrations in Scandinavian and two courses (8 units) for the minor.

Does your department maintain a list of courses previously awarded credit on UCEAP and/or a list of pre-approved courses for UCEAP programs? How do students access this information?


Does your department have a 4-year or 2-year plan available to students that incorporates semester or year-length study abroad? How do students access this information?

No. Students set up an appointment with the Student Services Advisor to create a study list plan.

What is the process in your department to have courses evaluated? What materials must be submitted? What is the timeframe for response?

Advance consultation by appointment with the Student Services Advisor to 1) create a study list plan, 2) email UCEAP course links, syllabi (when available) as scanned or other docs prior to application. All potential courses must be reviewed and receive preliminary approval by the 14th week of classes.

Are students in your department able to undertake a senior honors thesis the semester following UCEAP participation?

It may be possible with advance consultation with the Student Services Advisor during the early half of their junior year. The student would need to be in residence during their final semester to qualify.

Does your department calculate UCEAP grades into departmental GPA?


Are UCEAP grades counted towards departmental honors?


If you represent a department which teaches foreign language, does your department award major credit for the courses taken during the Intensive Language Program (ILP) portion of the UCEAP program?

No. Declared or prospective majors must take language courses offered by the Scandinavian department or receive preliminary approval for potential language courses to be taken abroad to ascertain equivalent language credit towards major requirements. For the minor, upper-division language courses can be applied to the five upper-division requirements. Students must consult in advance by appointment with the Student Services Advisor prior to application.

Does the undergraduate adviser sign the UCEAP academic planning form, or must a faculty adviser sign?

The Student Services Advisor reviews and signs off on the form.

Does your department place Academic holds on declared majors prior to each registration period? If yes, what is your departmental policy on releasing advising holds for students currently abroad on UCEAP (e.g. is advising possible via email, skype, etc.)?

Currently our department is not utilizing Academic holds for our majors. We contact students studying abroad prior to Phase I registration and require them to contact the Student Services Advisor with confirmation of 1) the courses they are enrolled in while studying abroad to include course links and syllabi and 2) a proposed study list for the following semester, either for the second semester abroad or UC Berkeley registration for the returning semester. Review and approval is conducted via email exchange.

Do you have any department specific advice for students participating on a UCEAP program in their last term at Berkeley?

All major requirements must be completed prior to their final semester with the exception of electives.


Independent Programs Questionnaire


Have any Independent programs been approved by your department and the Study Abroad Advisory board for credit in the major?


Are there any pre-approved courses for your major from other UC summer abroad programs (UCLA, UCD, etc.)?


What is the process to have a course from an Independent study abroad program evaluated for your major?

Majors or minors planning on going abroad must consult by appointment in advance with the Student Services Advisor for preliminary review of all potential coursework before they apply to a semester or year program.