The Rhetoric Department has provided information for students participating in the UC Education Abroad Program (UCEAP). Students participating on other study abroad programs should contact the department directly for more information.
Department Handouts: Study Abroad for Rhetoric Majors (PDF)
Study Abroad Questionnaire
- Is there a specific time frame in which students are required to declare a major in your department? If yes, when?
We do not accept petitions during the first three weeks of the fall or spring semester. Otherwise, we accept them throughout the year.
- Does the undergraduate adviser sign the UCEAP academic planning form, or must a faculty adviser sign?
The undergraduate major adviser signs.
- Should students make an appointment to have their academic planning form signed in your department? If so, do they need to bring a transcript or any other supplemental materials with them to their appointment?
They do not need an appointment. However, if they are not declared ,they should bring a BearFacts printout of their grades in order to review their academic progress.
- What is the maximum amount of major credit given for courses taken during UCEAP? Is this maximum calculated by number of courses or by units of credit?
All required courses must be taken here. The department will accept two courses taken abroad, if applicable, for the major. Those courses must be approved by the undergraduate major adviser. Only one may be used as credit for a course in the student's area of concentration.
- Are students in your department able to undertake a senior honors thesis the semester following UCEAP participation?
Yes, although since it is usually a two-semester course, students should plan on being here for two semesters after they return.
- Does your department calculate UCEAP grades into departmental GPA?
- Are UCEAP grades counted towards departmental honors?
- If you represent a department which teaches foreign language, does your department award major credit for the courses taken during the Intensive Language Program (ILP) portion of the UCEAP program?
- Does your department distribute a special information sheet for your majors which includes advice on how to articulate participation with UCEAP with the major?
- Does your department place Academic holds on declared majors prior to each registration period? If yes, what is your departmental policy on releasing advising holds for students currently abroad on UCEAP (e.g. is advising possible via email, skype, etc.)?
Please contact department directly for this information.