The Department of Psychology has provided information for students participating in the UC Education Abroad Program (UCEAP). Students participating on other study abroad programs should contact the department directly for more information.
Department Handouts: Study Abroad for Psychology Majors (PDF)
Study Abroad Questionnaire
- Is there a specific time frame in which students are required to declare a major in your department? If yes, when?
Yes. First Friday of October for Fall; First Friday of March for Spring; First Friday of July for Summer.
- Does the undergraduate adviser sign the UCEAP academic planning form, or must a faculty adviser sign?
- Should students make an appointment to have their academic planning form signed in your department? If so, do they need to bring a transcript or any other supplemental materials with them to their appointment?
No appointment. Drop-in advising only (M-F 10-12 and 1-3pm). If possible, bring a copy of the description/syllabus of the course.
- What is the maximum amount of major credit given for courses taken during UCEAP? Is this maximum calculated by number of courses or by units of credit?
The Psychology Department allows a maximum of two upper-division courses (with a minimum of 2.7 semester units) towards the elective requirements for major requirements. This includes courses transferred to UC Berkeley from another 4-year institution, courses taken through EAP, courses from UC Extension, and the pre-approved courses offered at UC Berkeley through other departments (Business, Economics, Legal Studies, etc.).
- Are students in your department able to undertake a senior honors thesis the semester following UCEAP participation?
- Does your department calculate UCEAP grades into departmental GPA?
- Are UCEAP grades counted towards departmental honors?
- If you represent a department which teaches foreign language, does your department award major credit for the courses taken during the Intensive Language Program (ILP) portion of the UCEAP program?
- Does your department distribute a special information sheet for your majors which includes advice on how to articulate participation with UCEAP with the major?
- Does your department place Academic holds on declared majors prior to each registration period? If yes, what is your departmental policy on releasing advising holds for students currently abroad on UCEAP (e.g. is advising possible via email, skype, etc.)?
Yes, seniors only. If students are abroad, they will need to email us (email@example.com) their academic plan which should include the courses they plan to take for the next semester, and we will release their hold within 5 business days.