Coronavirus (COVID-19): The safety and well-being of our students is our top priority. Please see current information and updates related to study abroad programs.

Berkeley Study Abroad is currently offering virtual services. Please see our Advising Schedule for more information.

Political Science

The Department of Political Science has provided information for students who plan to study abroad. Review your department’s responses to the Major Advising Questionnaires below, then contact the department directly with any additional questions.


Advising Resources


Study Abroad for Political Science Majors (PDF)

Study Abroad Information on the Political Science Website

Political Science Advising Contact Information


Berkeley Programs Questionnaire


Does your department currently sponsor a Berkeley Summer Abroad or Berkeley Global Internships program?


Do any courses offered on a Berkeley Summer Abroad or Berkeley Global Internships program currently satisfy requirements within your major?



UCEAP Programs Questionnaire


What is the maximum amount of major credit given for courses taken during UCEAP? Is this maximum calculated by number of courses or by units of credit?

All courses taken abroad must be evaluated by the Political Science Department at UC Berkeley before credit for the major is granted. Up to three (3) upper-division requirements may be fulfilled by approved courses taken elsewhere.  All approved courses taken abroad must transfer in as no less than 3 semester units each (or 4.5 quarter units). Click here for more information on requirements and our policy on taking courses elsewhere.

Does your department maintain a list of courses previously awarded credit on UCEAP and/or a list of pre-approved courses for UCEAP programs? How do students access this information?

Yes. Political Science has a database of previously approved courses on UCEAP.  We will be happy to share this information during drop-in advising. Click here to view our office hours. Please note that all courses, even those previously approved or designated as Political Science by the UCEAP office, must be evaluated and approved by the UCB Political Science department.This includes courses previously approved.

Does your department have a 4-year or 2-year plan available to students that incorporates semester or year-length study abroad? How do students access this information?

No – Given our specialization, distribution, and PS 3 requirements, there is no way to have a generic program plan that incorporates a semester or year abroad. We prefer to map out a plan with each student individually based on their remaining major requirements.

What is the process in your department to have courses evaluated? What materials must be submitted? What is the timeframe for response?

Students must submit detailed syllabi and a “Request for Course Evaluation” form in order for courses to be reviewed for official approval towards the major. The turnaround time for course evaluations is 2 to 3 weeks, possibly longer during the summer and winter breaks. Detailed information packets on Study Abroad, which outline the department's evaluation process and criteria, are available outside the Undergraduate Advising Office at 296 Barrows Hall and under the Undergraduate Program tab of the department’s website at

Are students in your department able to undertake a senior honors thesis the semester following UCEAP participation?

To do honors, students must enroll for a two-semester seminar in their senior year. The seminar is offered in a Fall-Spring sequence only and advanced planning the semester before is highly recommended. Students wishing to pursue honors and go abroad should plan accordingly. Click here for information on our honors program.

Does your department calculate UCEAP grades into departmental GPA?

Effective Fall 2016: Yes, but only in calculation of major GPA for graduation purposes (2.0 minimum).

Are UCEAP grades counted towards departmental honors?


If you represent a department which teaches foreign language, does your department award major credit for the courses taken during the Intensive Language Program (ILP) portion of the UCEAP program?


Does the undergraduate adviser sign the UCEAP academic planning form, or must a faculty adviser sign?

The undergraduate advisers sign the UCEAP academic planning forms.   We see students on a drop-in basis.  Click here to view our hours.

Does your department place Academic holds on declared majors prior to each registration period? If yes, what is your departmental policy on releasing advising holds for students currently abroad on UCEAP (e.g. is advising possible via email, skype, etc.)?

Our department does not place academic/advisor holds on single majors. However, declared double majors do have advisor holds prior to each registration period. These holds can be released by e-mailing the Undergraduate Advising Office directly.

Do you have any department specific advice for students participating on a UCEAP program in their last term at Berkeley?

Graduating while abroad: No courses taken outside the Political Science department at UC Berkeley can fulfill any requirements for the Political Science major unless explicitly approved in advance by the Political Science department. There are no guarantees of course approval. Students wishing to go abroad in their final semester are strongly encouraged to complete their major requirements before going. If students plan to complete remaining requirements abroad, they must submit course materials prior to leaving.


Independent Programs Questionnaire


Have any Independent programs been approved by your department and the Study Abroad Advisory board for credit in the major?

Yes.  Please visit the undergraduate advisers to talk further.  We see students on a drop-in basis.  Click here to view our hours.

Are there any pre-approved courses for your major from other UC summer abroad programs (UCLA, UCD, etc.)?