Novel coronavirus: spring and summer programs in China have been suspended.

We are here to support students as they make decisions. Please speak with a study abroad adviser if you have questions or concerns.


The Physics Department has provided information for students who plan to study abroad. Review your department’s responses to the Major Advising Questionnaires below, then contact the department directly with any additional questions.


Advising Resources


Study Abroad for Physics Majors (PDF)

Study Abroad Information on the Physics Website (coming soon) 

Physics Advising Contact Information


Berkeley Programs Questionnaire


Does your department currently sponsor a Berkeley Summer Abroad or Berkeley Global Internships program?


Do any courses offered on a Berkeley Summer Abroad or Berkeley Global Internships program currently satisfy requirements within your major?

We have accepted courses from other universities as equivalent to requirements in our major. However, we don’t use these to set precedent and instead strongly recommend that all students continue to have their courses evaluated before taking them.


UCEAP Programs Questionnaire


What is the maximum amount of major credit given for courses taken during UCEAP? Is this maximum calculated by number of courses or by units of credit?

Approximately 6-8 credits can be applied if courses are deemed equivalent. The maximum is calculated by number of courses.

Does your department maintain a list of courses previously awarded credit on UCEAP and/or a list of pre-approved courses for UCEAP programs? How do students access this information?

Yes, we do maintain a list. This is shared with students when they come in to discuss the possibility of studying abroad.

Does your department have a 4-year or 2-year plan available to students that incorporates semester or year-length study abroad? How do students access this information?

No. Students must come in to see an undergraduate adviser for planning.

What is the process in your department to have courses evaluated? What materials must be submitted? What is the timeframe for response?

Student should submit a request via this form. Syllabus including math level and topics covered weekly must be attached along with any other required documents mentioned on the form. Timeframe can be 3-6 weeks depending on faculty availability for review. See department for assistance.

Are students in your department able to undertake a senior honors thesis the semester following UCEAP participation?

Yes, it is possible. Student must meet eligibility requirements and must have two semesters left prior to participating in UCEAP.

Does your department calculate UCEAP grades into departmental GPA?


Are UCEAP grades counted towards departmental honors?


If you represent a department which teaches foreign language, does your department award major credit for the courses taken during the Intensive Language Program (ILP) portion of the UCEAP program?


Does the undergraduate adviser sign the UCEAP academic planning form, or must a faculty adviser sign?

Undergraduate Adviser signs.

Does your department place Academic holds on declared majors prior to each registration period? If yes, what is your departmental policy on releasing advising holds for students currently abroad on UCEAP (e.g. is advising possible via email, skype, etc.

Yes. If the student is in good academic standing, and communicates enrollment plan by email, the undergraduate major adviser will release the hold.

Do you have any department specific advice for students participating on a UCEAP program in their last term at Berkeley?

Student must come in for advising in major department and in their college prior to UCEAP participation.


Independent Programs Questionnaire


Have any Independent programs been approved by your department and the Study Abroad Advisory board for credit in the major?


Are there any pre-approved courses for your major from other UC summer abroad programs (UCLA, UCD, etc.)?


What is the process to have a course from an Independent study abroad program evaluated for your major?

Students must come in to see an undergraduate adviser for planning.