The Philosophy Department has provided information for students participating in the UC Education Abroad Program (UCEAP). Students participating on other study abroad programs should contact the department directly for more information.
Study Abroad Questionnaire
- Is there a specific time frame in which students are required to declare a major in your department? If yes, when?
- Does the undergraduate adviser sign the UCEAP academic planning form, or must a faculty adviser sign?
Either can sign the planning form.
- Should students make an appointment to have their academic planning form signed in your department? If so, do they need to bring a transcript or any other supplemental materials with them to their appointment?
See faculty adviser during their office hours (listed on web, bulletin board, etc.) or drop-in hours. Transcripts or other supplemental materials aren't needed.
- What is the maximum amount of major credit given for courses taken during UCEAP? Is this maximum calculated by number of courses or by units of credit?
It's based on each case individually and up to the faculty adviser's discretion.
- Are students in your department able to undertake a senior honors thesis the semester following UCEAP participation?
The only restrictions are that they must have taken a graduate seminar here at Berkeley to qualify, meet the GPA requirements, and enroll in an individual honors writing study course (Phil H195) with the professor.
- Does your department calculate UCEAP grades into departmental GPA?
- Are UCEAP grades counted towards departmental honors?
If they appear on the transcript they may be looked at as part of the overall honor's evaluation.
- If you represent a department which teaches foreign language, does your department award major credit for the courses taken during the Intensive Language Program (ILP) portion of the UCEAP program?
- Does your department distribute a special information sheet for your majors which includes advice on how to articulate participation with UCEAP with the major?
- Does your department place Academic holds on declared majors prior to each registration period? If yes, what is your departmental policy on releasing advising holds for students currently abroad on UCEAP (e.g. is advising possible via email, skype, etc.)?
Please contact department directly for this information.