Note: Extended deadlines for select UCEAP programs is June 4.

Near Eastern Studies

The Department of Near Eastern Studies has provided information for students who plan to study abroad. Review your department’s responses to the Major Advising Questionnaires below, then contact the department directly with any additional questions.


Advising Resources


Study Abroad Information on the Near Eastern Studies Website

Studies Advising Contact Information



Berkeley Programs Questionnaire


Does your department currently sponsor a Berkeley Summer Abroad or Berkeley Global Internships program?


Do any courses offered on a Berkeley Summer Abroad or Berkeley Global Internships program currently satisfy requirements within your major?


UCEAP Programs Questionnaire


What is the maximum amount of major credit given for courses taken during UCEAP? Is this maximum calculated by number of courses or by units of credit?

Courses and credits are evaluated on a case-by-case basis. Courses that satisfy major requirement must be worth at least 3 UC semester units, taken for a letter grade and offer equivalent language hours of instruction as offered in the Near Eastern Studies courses.

Does your department maintain a list of courses previously awarded credit on UCEAP and/or a list of pre-approved courses for UCEAP programs? How do students access this information?


Does your department have a 4-year or 2-year plan available to students that incorporates semester or year-length study abroad? How do students access this information?

Yes. They are made available during in-person advising.

What is the process in your department to have courses evaluated? What materials must be submitted? What is the timeframe for response?

If a student wishes to use coursework from abroad towards NES requirements, they should meet with the NES department as early as possible. For a course to be evaluated for the major, the student must submit syllabi to the department.

Are students in your department able to undertake a senior honors thesis the semester following UCEAP participation?

No. Please contact the Undergraduate Adviser with any questions.

Does your department calculate UCEAP grades into departmental GPA?


Are UCEAP grades counted towards departmental honors?


If you represent a department which teaches foreign language, does your department award major credit for the courses taken during the Intensive Language Program (ILP) portion of the UCEAP program?


Does the undergraduate adviser sign the UCEAP academic planning form, or must a faculty adviser sign?

The Undergraduate Major Adviser can sign.

Does your department place Academic holds on declared majors prior to each registration period? If yes, what is your departmental policy on releasing advising holds for students currently abroad on UCEAP (e.g. is advising possible via email, skype, etc.)?

Yes, students can call or email the Undergraduate Major Adviser to lift a registration hold.

Do you have any department specific advice for students participating on a UCEAP program in their last term at Berkeley?

Students are encouraged to discuss their study abroad plans with the Undergraduate Major Adviser as early as possible so that they can receive proper advising. We recommend students participate in UCEAP programs or Berkeley programs.


Independent Programs Questionnaire


Have any Independent programs been approved by your department and the Study Abroad Advisory board for credit in the major?


Are there any pre-approved courses for your major from other UC summer abroad programs (UCLA, UCD, etc.)?


What is the process to have a course from an Independent study abroad program evaluated for your major?
Students must provide a transcript from an academic accredited institution and course syllabi.