Novel coronavirus: spring and summer programs in China have been suspended.

We are here to support students as they make decisions. Please speak with a study abroad adviser if you have questions or concerns.

Molecular Environmental Biology

The Environmental Science, Policy, and Management Department has provided information for students who plan to study abroad. Review your department’s responses to the Major Advising Questionnaires below, then contact the department directly with any additional questions.


Advising Resources

Study Abroad for CNR Majors (PDF) 

Study Abroad Information on the CNR Website

Molecular Environmental Biology Advising Contact Information


Berkeley Programs Questionnaire


Does your department currently sponsor a Berkeley Summer Abroad or Berkeley Global Internships program?


Do any courses offered on a Berkeley Summer Abroad or Berkeley Global Internships program currently satisfy requirements within your major?

No, but students may petition for curriculum exceptions. 


UCEAP Programs Questionnaire


What is the maximum amount of major credit given for courses taken during UCEAP? Is this maximum calculated by number of courses or by units of credit?

A maximum of 2 courses (4 semester units per course) could be counted towards MEB upper division requirements. Each course must be worth at least 3 semester units and must be taken for a letter grade. 


Does your department maintain a list of courses previously awarded credit on UCEAP and/or a list of pre-approved courses for UCEAP programs? How do students access this information?

Yes. Please contact the major adviser. 

Does your department have a 4-year or 2-year plan available to students that incorporates semester or year-length study abroad? How do students access this information?

No. Please see adviser for information on how to fit study abroad into your academic plan.

What is the process in your department to have courses evaluated? What materials must be submitted? What is the timeframe for response?

All courses are reviewed on a case-by-case basis. It is the student's responsibility to have the course evaluated prior to leaving for a study abroad program so they know whether the course will count towards completing a major requirement. Students should first meet with the MEB major advisor to discuss the course they would like to have reviewed and to receive instructions on how to proceed with course evaluation by the faculty advisor. Evaluation may take a couple of weeks once it is submitted. At minimum, student will need to provide a course syllabus. 

Are students in your department able to undertake a senior honors thesis the semester following UCEAP participation?

If students plan their schedules, they can undertake the CNR senior honors thesis in their senior year if studying abroad junior year or vice versa. The CNR Honors Program is a commitment for an entire year, so they will have to be back on campus for a consecutive Fall and Spring to participate. Students might need to apply for the Honors Program while they are abroad, so they will need to plan ahead to get all of the planning finalized.

Does your department calculate UCEAP grades into departmental GPA?

Yes, as long as the courses are accepted via petition to count as their upper division coursework. 

Are UCEAP grades counted towards departmental honors?

UCEAP grades are counted toward college honors.

If you represent a department which teaches foreign language, does your department award major credit for the courses taken during the Intensive Language Program (ILP) portion of the UCEAP program?


Does the undergraduate adviser sign the UCEAP academic planning form, or must a faculty adviser sign?

The undergraduate adviser

Does your department place Academic holds on declared majors prior to each registration period? If yes, what is your departmental policy on releasing advising holds for students currently abroad on UCEAP (e.g. is advising possible via email, skype, etc.)?

Yes. All CNR students, including those studying abroad, will receive an Academic hold which prevents them from registering for the following term. Registration advising will be done via email. Once the student and adviser come to an agreement about the proposed schedule, the hold will be lifted. 

Do you have any department specific advice for students participating on a UCEAP program in their last term at Berkeley?

Speak to the undergraduate adviser in advance to make sure you are on track to fulfill all major requirements and to ensure you meet senior residency. Since grades from abroad programs do take time to post to your Berkeley transcript, your graduation date may be delayed if you study abroad the same semester you plan to graduate. 


Independent Programs Questionnaire


Have any Independent programs been approved by your department and the Study Abroad Advisory board for credit in the major?


Are there any pre-approved courses for your major from other UC summer abroad programs (UCLA, UCD, etc.)?


What is the process to have a course from an Independent study abroad program evaluated for your major?

Students must first consult with the major adviser and then submit a course syllabus to petition the faculty adviser for course evaluation for the major. Courses must transfer as at least 3 semester units and must be taken for a letter grade. Evaluation may take a couple of weeks once it is submitted. Consult with your major adviser for more information.