Novel coronavirus: spring and summer programs in China have been suspended.

We are here to support students as they make decisions. Please speak with a study abroad adviser if you have questions or concerns.

Molecular and Cell Biology

The Department of Molecular and Cell Biology has provided information for students who plan to study abroad. Review your department’s responses to the Major Advising Questionnaires below, then contact the department directly with any additional questions.


Advising Resources


Study Abroad for Molecular and Cell Biology Majors (PDF) N/A

Study Abroad Information on the Molecular and Cell Biology Website

Molecular and Cell Biology Advising Contact Information


Berkeley Programs Questionnaire


Does your department currently sponsor a Berkeley Summer Abroad or Berkeley Global Internships program?


Do any courses offered on a Berkeley Summer Abroad or Berkeley Global Internships program currently satisfy requirements within your major?



UCEAP Programs Questionnaire


What is the maximum amount of major credit given for courses taken during UCEAP? Is this maximum calculated by number of courses or by units of credit?

Students who study abroad may use up to two (2) upper division courses toward the major requirements. These courses must be advanced level courses meant for 3rd/4th year students and equivalent to 3-4 semester units. Courses for the major must be taken for a letter grade. Students must earn a C or better to have it count.

Does your department maintain a list of courses previously awarded credit on UCEAP and/or a list of pre-approved courses for UCEAP programs? How do students access this information?

Yes. Please visit our website:

Does your department have a 4-year or 2-year plan available to students that incorporates semester or year-length study abroad? How do students access this information?

Yes. Please visit our website:

What is the process in your department to have courses evaluated? What materials must be submitted? What is the timeframe for response?

Please see our website for more information on course evaluation:

Are students in your department able to undertake a senior honors thesis the semester following UCEAP participation?

Most students need a full year of honors research to collect sufficient data, write the thesis, and present their research. Students interested in departmental honors should meet with a staff adviser to discuss the impact of UCEAP and departmental honors on their academic program.

Does your department calculate UCEAP grades into departmental GPA?

Yes, as long as the grades appear on the transcript and are calculated into the UCB GPA.

Are UCEAP grades counted towards departmental honors?


If you represent a department which teaches foreign language, does your department award major credit for the courses taken during the Intensive Language Program (ILP) portion of the UCEAP program?


Does the undergraduate adviser sign the UCEAP academic planning form, or must a faculty adviser sign?

The undergraduate adviser

Does your department place Academic holds on declared majors prior to each registration period? If yes, what is your departmental policy on releasing advising holds for students currently abroad on UCEAP (e.g. is advising possible via email, skype, etc.)?

Yes. All declared MCB students will have a registration hold placed on their account. We are happy to work with students who are abroad to release their hold. Continuing students should complete the survey that will be sent to them via email. Advisors review these submissions and release holds accordingly. 


Do you have any department specific advice for students participating on a UCEAP program in their last term at Berkeley?

Make sure to talk to a staff advisor to ensure that all of your major requirements have been fulfilled or will be fulfilled. If you are trying to complete major requirements abroad in your last semester, make sure to be in close communication with your faculty advisor to confirm that your study abroad coursework will be approved.


Independent Programs Questionnaire


Have any Independent programs been approved by your department and the Study Abroad Advisory board for credit in the major?


Are there any pre-approved courses for your major from other UC summer abroad programs (UCLA, UCD, etc.)?


What is the process to have a course from an Independent study abroad program evaluated for your major?

Please see our website for more information on course evaluation: