Novel coronavirus: spring and summer programs in China have been suspended.

We are here to support students as they make decisions. Please speak with a study abroad adviser if you have questions or concerns.


The Department of Mathematics has provided information for students who plan to study abroad. Review your department’s responses to the Major Advising Questionnaires below, then contact the department directly with any additional questions.


Advising Resources


Study Abroad for Math Majors (PDF)

Study Abroad Information on Math Department Website N/A

Math Department Advising Contact Information


Berkeley Programs Questionnaire


Does your department currently sponsor a Berkeley Summer Abroad or Berkeley Global Internships program?
Do any courses offered on a Berkeley Summer Abroad or Berkeley Global Internships program currently satisfy requirements within your major?

Yes. Math 104 or Math 185, (major core requirements), are offered during alternative summers. The second course offered each summer, Math 191, is a variable course based on either Math 104 or 185, and may be used as a major elective with the approval of a faculty adviser. 


UCEAP Programs Questionnaire


What is the maximum amount of major credit given for courses taken during UCEAP? Is this maximum calculated by number of courses or by units of credit?

Up to four (4) upper-division major requirements (four courses) may be taken during UCEAP.

Does your department maintain a list of courses previously awarded credit on UCEAP and/or a list of pre-approved courses for UCEAP programs? How do students access this information?

No such list is maintained, but students may have UCEAP courses pre-approved by a faculty adviser.

Does your department have a 4-year or 2-year plan available to students that incorporates semester or year-length study abroad? How do students access this information?

Students should meet with one of the undergraduate major advisers for a plan.

What is the process in your department to have courses evaluated? What materials must be submitted? What is the timeframe for response?

For majors, a faculty advisor evaluates courses taken outside UC Berkeley. Usually some kind of syllabus is required for this evaluation.

Are students in your department able to undertake a senior honors thesis the semester following UCEAP participation?


Does your department calculate UCEAP grades into departmental GPA?


Are UCEAP grades counted towards departmental honors?


If you represent a department which teaches foreign language, does your department award major credit for the courses taken during the Intensive Language Program (ILP) portion of the UCEAP program?


Does the undergraduate adviser sign the UCEAP academic planning form, or must a faculty adviser sign?

The undergraduate adviser may sign.

Does your department place Academic holds on declared majors prior to each registration period? If yes, what is your departmental policy on releasing advising holds for students currently abroad on UCEAP (e.g. is advising possible via email, skype, etc.)?

Major holds are only placed for students who have not seen a faculty adviser. In that case, the undergraduate advisers can release holds for students on UCEAP by email request.

Do you have any department specific advice for students participating on a UCEAP program in their last term at Berkeley?

Talk to your undergraduate major adviser and (if needed) your faculty adviser before you leave for UCEAP to make sure you are finishing any remaining requirements. And, of course, have fun!


Independent Programs Questionnaire


Have any Independent programs been approved by your department and the Study Abroad Advisory board for credit in the major?

Students often participate in “Budapest Semesters in Mathematics” and the “Math in Moscow” program. In principle, these kinds of programs are approved on a case-by-case basis.

Are there any pre-approved courses for your major from other UC summer abroad programs (UCLA, UCD, etc.)?

None that are pre-approved.

What is the process to have a course from an Independent study abroad program evaluated for your major?

A faculty adviser approves such courses on a case-by-case basis.