The Department of German has provided information for students participating in the UC Education Abroad Program (UCEAP). Students participating on other study abroad programs should contact the department directly for more information.
Study Abroad Questionnaire
- Is there a specific time frame in which students are required to declare a major in your department? If yes, when? Yes. Students can declare the German major/minor after successfully completing German 2. The latest to declare the major is in their second semester of their junior year.
- Does the undergraduate adviser sign the UCEAP academic planning form, or must a faculty adviser sign? The undergraduate adviser signs the UCEAP forms.
- Should students make an appointment to have their academic planning form signed in your department? If so, do they need to bring a transcript or any other supplemental materials with them to their appointment? An appointment is not necessary. Only a brief description of the intended courses is required.
- What is the maximum amount of major credit given for courses taken during UCEAP? Is this maximum calculated by number of courses or by units of credit? We allow a maximum of 5 courses to count for the major and 2 courses for the minor. Any UCEAP course counts as a 3 unit course towards the major.
- Are students in your department able to undertake a senior honors thesis the semester following UCEAP participation? Yes, students may participate in the Honors Thesis program if they qualify. Students may not enroll in the Honors Thesis course while they are abroad.
- Does your department calculate UCEAP grades into departmental GPA? Yes.
- Are UCEAP grades counted towards departmental honors? Yes.
- If you represent a department which teaches foreign language, does your department award major credit for the courses taken during the Intensive Language Program (ILP) portion of the UCEAP program? Yes.
- Does your department distribute a special information sheet for your majors which includes advice on how to articulate participation with UCEAP with the major? Yes.
- Does your department place Academic holds on declared majors prior to each registration period? If yes, what is your departmental policy on releasing advising holds for students currently abroad on UCEAP (e.g. is advising possible via email, skype, etc.)?
Yes, the department does place holds. Majors abroad must inform the Undergraduate Adviser via email of planned courses they will take.