Novel coronavirus: spring and summer programs in China have been suspended.

We are here to support students as they make decisions. Please speak with a study abroad adviser if you have questions or concerns.


The Geography Department has provided information for students who plan to study abroad. Review your department’s responses to the Major Advising Questionnaires below, then contact the department directly with any additional questions.


Advising Resources


Study Abroad for Geography Majors (PDF) N/A

Study Abroad Information on the Geography Website

Geography Advising Contact Information


Berkeley Programs Questionnaire


Does your department currently sponsor a Berkeley Summer Abroad or Berkeley Global Internships program?


Do any courses offered on a Berkeley Summer Abroad or Berkeley Global Internships program currently satisfy requirements within your major?

It is possible that courses taken on either of these programs could satisfy requirements for the major! The course would need to be evaluated by the undergraduate major advisor; please reach out for more information. 


Berkeley Programs Questionnaire


What is the maximum amount of major credit given for courses taken during UCEAP? Is this maximum calculated by number of courses or by units of credit?

A maximum of two upper division requirements for a semester program. If a student participates in a year-long program, a maximum of four major requirements is possible.

Does your department maintain a list of courses previously awarded credit on UCEAP and/or a list of pre-approved courses for UCEAP programs? How do students access this information?

Given the large number of courses offered through UCEAP, the Geography department is unable to maintain a comprehensive list of courses that have previously been approved. That said, we are more than happy to work with students in finding UCEAP courses that can satisfy our major requirements. 

Does your department have a 4-year or 2-year plan available to students that incorporates semester or year-length study abroad? How do students access this information?

We do not have a prescribed program plan for students, but are happy to work individually with a student to make a 2-year or 4-year program plan that allows them to complete program requirements while studying abroad. 

What is the process in your department to have courses evaluated? What materials must be submitted? What is the timeframe for response?

Students are asked to submit syllabi of the course(s) they would like to use for major requirements to the undergraduate major adviser. The adviser will review the courses and will consult with the faculty if necessary. We can guarantee a quick turnaround (a week or less) as long as enough information is provided at the time of the request. 

Are students in your department able to undertake a senior honors thesis the semester following UCEAP participation?


Does your department calculate UCEAP grades into departmental GPA?

Yes, if the course is used to satisfy a major requirement. 

Are UCEAP grades counted towards departmental honors?

Yes, if the course is used to satisfy a major requirement. 

If you represent a department which teaches foreign language, does your department award major credit for the courses taken during the Intensive Language Program (ILP) portion of the UCEAP program?


Does the undergraduate adviser sign the UCEAP academic planning form, or must a faculty adviser sign?

The undergraduate adviser.

Does your department place Academic holds on declared majors prior to each registration period? If yes, what is your departmental policy on releasing advising holds for students currently abroad on UCEAP (e.g. is advising possible via email, skype, etc.)?

No. Our department does not apply semester holds to our majors.

Do you have any department specific advice for students participating on a UCEAP program in their last term at Berkeley?

We lightly warn students who go on UCEAP for their last semester. There is a small risk that they will not be able to administratively graduate on time if their UCEAP coursework is not received in time for degree conferral.


Independent Programs Questionnaire


Have any Independent programs been approved by your department and the Study Abroad Advisory board for credit in the major?


Are there any pre-approved courses for your major from other UC summer abroad programs (UCLA, UCD, etc.)?

No. Courses are evaluated on a case by case basis.

What is the process to have a course from an Independent study abroad program evaluated for your major?

Students meet with the undergraduate major adviser and submit a course description and if possible a syllabus for the course(s).