Novel coronavirus: spring and summer programs in China have been suspended.

We are here to support students as they make decisions. Please speak with a study abroad adviser if you have questions or concerns.

Genetics and Plant Biology

The Genetics and Plant Biology program has provided information for students who plan to study abroad. Review your department’s responses to the Major Advising Questionnaires below, then contact the department directly with any additional questions.


Advising Resources

Study Abroad for CNR Majors (PDF)

Study Abroad Information on the CNR Website

Genetics & Plant Biology Advising Contact Information


Berkeley Programs Questionnaire


Does your department currently sponsor a Berkeley Summer Abroad or Berkeley Global Internships program?


Do any courses offered on a Berkeley Summer Abroad or Berkeley Global Internships program currently satisfy requirements within your major?



Berkeley Programs Questionnaire


What is the maximum amount of major credit given for courses taken during UCEAP? Is this maximum calculated by number of courses or by units of credit?

A maximum total of 2 courses (8 credits total) would be counted towards GPB upper division electives. Courses used for breadth requirements are also considered in addition to upper division requirements.

Does your department maintain a list of courses previously awarded credit on UCEAP and/or a list of pre-approved courses for UCEAP programs? How do students access this information?

Yes. Please contact the major adviser and they can provide you with the list. 

Does your department have a 4-year or 2-year plan available to students that incorporates semester or year-length study abroad? How do students access this information?

No plans are currently available. Please contact the major adviser to discuss how best to fit study abroad into your academic plan. 

What is the process in your department to have courses evaluated? What materials must be submitted? What is the timeframe for response?

All courses are reviewed on a case-by-case basis. Students should meet with the MB major advisor to discuss the course they would like to have evaluated. Ideally, this should be done prior to having left for a study abroad program so students know whether the course will count towards completing a major requirement. The major advisor provides a petition for the student to submit to the GPB Faculty Advisor. The student submits the completed petition along with the course syllabus (which the student must obtain from the study abroad program) to the GPB Faculty Advisor in order for the course to be evaluated. If approved, the student returns the petition with the MB Faculty Advisor’s signature to 260 Mulford Hall. The time frame can take up to a couple weeks once it is submitted.

Are students in your department able to undertake a senior honors thesis the semester following UCEAP participation?

If students plan their schedules, they can undertake the CNR senior honors thesis in their senior year if studying abroad junior year or vice versa. The CNR Honors Program is a commitment for an entire year, so they will have to be back on campus for a consecutive Fall and Spring to participate. Students might need to apply for the Honors Program while they are abroad, so they will need to plan ahead to get all of the planning finalized.

Does your department calculate UCEAP grades into departmental GPA?

Yes, as long as the courses are accepted via petition to count as their upper division coursework.

Are UCEAP grades counted towards departmental honors?


If you represent a department which teaches foreign language, does your department award major credit for the courses taken during the Intensive Language Program (ILP) portion of the UCEAP program?


Does the undergraduate adviser sign the UCEAP academic planning form, or must a faculty adviser sign?

The undergraduate adviser.

Does your department place Academic holds on declared majors prior to each registration period?


If yes, what is your departmental policy on releasing advising holds for students currently abroad on UCEAP (e.g. is advising possible via email, skype, etc.)?

Yes, all CNR students, including those studying abroad, will receive an Academic hold which prevents them from registering for the following term. The Undergraduate Adviser will email students in advance of their Phase I appointments requesting a proposed schedule for the following term. Once the student and adviser come to an agreement about the proposed schedule, the hold will be released so the student can enroll into their courses. For students abroad during their Phase 1, this can be done via email/phone/skype.

Do you have any department specific advice for students participating on a UCEAP program in their last term at Berkeley?

Contact your major advisor as soon as possible to review your graduation requirements and to ensure you meet senior residency.


Independent Programs Questionnaire


Have any Independent programs been approved by your department and the Study Abroad Advisory board for credit in the major?


Are there any pre-approved courses for your major from other UC summer abroad programs (UCLA, UCD, etc.)?


What is the process to have a course from an Independent study abroad program evaluated for your major?

All students must have the course syllabus in order for the course to be evaluated. The syllabus will be evaluated by the GPB Faculty Advisor for approval. The timeframe can take up to a couple weeks once it is submitted.