The Department of French has provided information for students who plan to study abroad. Review your department’s responses to the Major Advising Questionnaires below, then contact the department directly with any additional questions.


Advising Resources


Study Abroad for French Majors (PDF)

Study Abroad Information on the French Website

French Advising Contact Information


Berkeley Programs Questionnaire


Does your department currently sponsor a Berkeley Summer Abroad or Berkeley Global Internships program?

Yes. Berkeley Summer Abroad: French Language, Culture, and History in Paris, France. Berkeley Global Internships: Paris, France.

Do any courses offered on a Berkeley Summer Abroad or Berkeley Global Internships program currently satisfy requirements within your major?

Yes, in consultation with French major adviser.


UCEAP Programs Questionnaire


What is the maximum amount of major credit given for courses taken during UCEAP? Is this maximum calculated by number of courses or by units of credit?

One semester can yield a max of three (3) equivalent courses for major; two (2) equivalent courses for minor. Students studying for two semesters can satisfy a maximum of four (4) course requirements in the major. Maximum is based on combination of courses and units of credit.

Does your department maintain a list of courses previously awarded credit on UCEAP and/or a list of pre-approved courses for UCEAP programs? How do students access this information?

Yes. A list of pre-approved courses will be available soon on the French Department website.

Does your department have a 4-year or 2-year plan available to students that incorporates semester or year-length study abroad? How do students access this information?

The French major adviser is always available to meet with students who wish to build a plan that incorporates study abroad.

What is the process in your department to have courses evaluated? What materials must be submitted? What is the timeframe for response?

Courses can be conditionally approved prior to departure; approval confirmed during active course selection abroad; finalized upon return with receipt of MyEAP grades and units. A list of pre-approved courses will be available soon on the French Department website.

Are students in your department able to undertake a senior honors thesis the semester following UCEAP participation?


Does your department calculate UCEAP grades into departmental GPA?


Are UCEAP grades counted towards departmental honors?


If you represent a department which teaches foreign language, does your department award major credit for the courses taken during the Intensive Language Program (ILP) portion of the UCEAP program?


Does the undergraduate adviser sign the UCEAP academic planning form, or must a faculty adviser sign?

The undergraduate major adviser signs the form.

Does your department place Academic holds on declared majors prior to each registration period? If yes, what is your departmental policy on releasing advising holds for students currently abroad on UCEAP (e.g. is advising possible via email, skype, etc.)?

The French Department does not place advising holds prior to registration.

Do you have any department specific advice for students participating on a UCEAP program in their last term at Berkeley?

It is always a good idea to meet with the major adviser when planning your study abroad.


Independent Programs Questionnaire


Have any Independent programs been approved by your department and the Study Abroad Advisory board for credit in the major?

Yes, the CIEE French and Critical Studies program.  Meet with the French major adviser for additional details.

Are there any pre-approved courses for your major from other UC summer abroad programs (UCLA, UCD, etc.)?


What is the process to have a course from an Independent study abroad program evaluated for your major?

Meet with the French major adviser prior to enrolling in program to review course content and unit value for possible articulation with major requirements