The College of Natural Resources has provided information for students participating in the UC Education Abroad Program (UCEAP). Students participating on other study abroad programs should contact the department directly for more information.
Department Handouts: Study Abroad for CNR Majors (PDF)
Study Abroad Questionnaire
- Is there a specific time frame in which students are required to declare a major in your department? If yes, when?
No, but preferably right before or right after completing our Forestry Summer Field Program, which is recommended during the summer before junior year.
- Does the undergraduate adviser sign the UCEAP academic planning form, or must a faculty adviser sign?
- Should students make an appointment to have their academic planning form signed in your department? If so, do they need to bring a transcript or any other supplemental materials with them to their appointment?
It is recommended they make an appointment, but not required. Students may come during regular drop-in advising hours M-F 9am-12pm and 1pm-4pm and Wednesdays in the afternoon only, except Tele-BEARS advising periods (October and April each year). Students do not need to bring any other materials with them to this meeting.
- What is the maximum amount of major credit given for courses taken during UCEAP? Is this maximum calculated by number of courses or by units of credit?
Maximum: 2 courses
- Are students in your department able to undertake a senior honors thesis the semester following UCEAP participation?
If students qualify for the CNR Honors Research Program, they may participate in that as long as they have at least two semesters to complete that program.
- Does your department calculate UCEAP grades into departmental GPA?
- Are UCEAP grades counted towards departmental honors?
UCEAP grades are counted toward college honors.
- If you represent a department which teaches foreign language, does your department award major credit for the courses taken during the Intensive Language Program (ILP) portion of the UCEAP program?
- Does your department distribute a special information sheet for your majors which includes advice on how to articulate participation with UCEAP with the major?
- Does your department place Academic holds on declared majors prior to each registration period? If yes, what is your departmental policy on releasing advising holds for students currently abroad on UCEAP (e.g. is advising possible via email, skype, etc.)?