Note: Extended deadlines for select UCEAP programs is June 4.

Environmental Sciences

The Environmental Science, Policy, and Management Department has provided information for students who plan to study abroad. Review your department’s responses to the Major Advising Questionnaires below, then contact the department directly with any additional questions.


Advising Resources

Study Abroad for Environmental Science Majors (PDF)

Study Abroad Information on the Environmental Science Website

Environmental Science Advising Contact Information



Berkeley Programs Questionnaire


Does your department currently sponsor a Berkeley Summer Abroad or Berkeley Global Internships program?


Do any courses offered on a Berkeley Summer Abroad or Berkeley Global Internships program currently satisfy requirements within your major?



UCEAP Programs Questionnaire


What is the maximum amount of major credit given for courses taken during UCEAP? Is this maximum calculated by number of courses or by units of credit?

Students may petition to have up to two relevant courses from abroad count towards their major requirements. Courses must be at least 3 semester units, must be taken for a letter grade, and must be approved by ES faculty. Consult with your major advisor for more information.

Does your department maintain a list of courses previously awarded credit on UCEAP and/or a list of pre-approved courses for UCEAP programs? How do students access this information?

No. Coursework is evaluated on a case-by-case basis.

Does your department have a 4-year or 2-year plan available to students that incorporates semester or year-length study abroad? How do students access this information?

We offer extensive advising for students planning to go abroad due to the limitation of the major and the sequential coursework required through junior and senior year.

What is the process in your department to have courses evaluated? What materials must be submitted? What is the timeframe for response?

Students must submit a course syllabus with the ESPM curriculum exception form to petition for the course to be reviewed by our faculty for approval. Reviews can take 3-4 weeks, depending on faculty availability.

Are students in your department able to undertake a senior honors thesis the semester following UCEAP participation?

All Environmental Sciences students take a year-long thesis course preceded by a research methods course, all of which must be taken on the Berkeley campus beginning spring of their junior year. One semester UCEAP programs can be worked out with advance planning, and the ideal term for students to go abroad is fall of their junior year.

Does your department calculate UCEAP grades into departmental GPA?

Yes, for those courses accepted in completion of major requirements.

Are UCEAP grades counted towards departmental honors?


If you represent a department which teaches foreign language, does your department award major credit for the courses taken during the Intensive Language Program (ILP) portion of the UCEAP program?


Does the undergraduate adviser sign the UCEAP academic planning form, or must a faculty adviser sign?

The undergraduate adviser.

Does your department place Academic holds on declared majors prior to each registration period? If yes, what is your departmental policy on releasing advising holds for students currently abroad on UCEAP (e.g. is advising possible via email, skype, etc.)?

Yes, all CNR students, including those studying abroad, will receive an Academic hold which prevents them from registering for the following term. The undergraduate advisor will email students in advance of their Phase I appointments requesting a proposed schedule for the following term. Once the student and advisor come to an agreement about the proposed schedule, the hold will be released so the student can enroll into their courses.

Do you have any department specific advice for students participating on a UCEAP program in their last term at Berkeley?

Contact your major advisor to review your graduation requirements and to ensure you meet senior residency. Keep in mind that students are required to complete a year long thesis project that runs through the fall and spring of senior year.


Independent Programs Questionnaire


Have any Independent programs been approved by your department and the Study Abroad Advisory board for credit in the major?


Are there any pre-approved courses for your major from other UC summer abroad programs (UCLA, UCD, etc.)?


What is the process to have a course from an Independent study abroad program evaluated for your major?
Students must submit a course syllabus with and ESPM curriculum exception form to petition for the course to be reviewed by our faculty for approval.