Berkeley Study Abroad Fair - September 27 in the Pauley Ballroom


The Department of Economics has provided information for students who plan to study abroad. Review your department’s responses to the Major Advising Questionnaires below, then contact the department directly with any additional questions.


Advising Resources


Study Abroad for Economics Majors (PDF)

Study Abroad Information on the Economics Website

Economics Advising Contact Information


Berkeley Programs Questionnaire


Does your department currently sponsor a Berkeley Summer Abroad or Berkeley Global Internships program?


Do any courses offered on a Berkeley Summer Abroad or Berkeley Global Internships program currently satisfy requirements within your major?

Yes. However, students must petition courses from abroad to satisfy our major requirements. Instructions for how to petition courses can be found on our website.


UCEAP Programs Questionnaire


What is the maximum amount of major credit given for courses taken during UCEAP? Is this maximum calculated by number of courses or by units of credit?

No more than two (2) courses can be taken “outside” of the major. This includes any course(s) taken off-campus and any pre-approved class taken on-campus from a department other than Economics.

Does your department maintain a list of courses previously awarded credit on UCEAP and/or a list of pre-approved courses for UCEAP programs? How do students access this information?

Yes, but this information is currently not public to students as we require that students petition their courses for approval to ensure that they are within our “outside” courses policy when seeking approval for courses taken abroad (see above).

Does your department have a 4-year or 2-year plan available to students that incorporates semester or year-length study abroad? How do students access this information?

Plans can be found on this page:

Plans currently show study abroad incorporated in summer sessions: THREE, THREE AND A HALF, or FOUR years.

What is the process in your department to have courses evaluated? What materials must be submitted? What is the timeframe for response?

If students have a preliminary idea of where they are going abroad, they need to identify the courses of interest, provide copies of the syllabi (.pdf format only) to the Economics Department, and complete the course equivalency request form. Faculty will review the syllabi, and students will be notified via email if the courses have been approved.  Only economics courses are subject to approval.  Business, history, political sciences courses, etc., will not be approved, even if they are equivalent to courses on the approved electives list. Course descriptions are not an acceptable substitution for course syllabi and will not be reviewed. Course reviews can take 2-4 weeks.

Courses must transfer back to Berkeley with at least 2.7 upper division semester units to count for the Economics major, and it is the responsibility of the students to verify the units. A maximum of two upper-division courses taken outside of the department can be used towards economics degree requirements. (This includes approved economics elective courses taken at Berkeley that are outside of the economics department such as UGBA, Legal Studies, EEP, History, etc.)

Are students in your department able to undertake a senior honors thesis the semester following UCEAP participation?

Possibly, but this would need to be carefully planned with an Economics Advisor.

Does your department calculate UCEAP grades into departmental GPA?


Are UCEAP grades counted towards departmental honors?


If you represent a department which teaches foreign language, does your department award major credit for the courses taken during the Intensive Language Program (ILP) portion of the UCEAP program?


Does the undergraduate adviser sign the UCEAP academic planning form, or must a faculty adviser sign?

Undergraduate Adviser

Does your department place Academic holds on declared majors prior to each registration period? If yes, what is your departmental policy on releasing advising holds for students currently abroad on UCEAP (e.g. is advising possible via email, skype, etc.)?


Do you have any department specific advice for students participating on a UCEAP program in their last term at Berkeley?

We advise students to be sure that they check-in with an Advisor in the College of Letters & Sciences to be sure they are meeting the senior residency requirement. We also discuss whether they have the correct expected graduation date in CalCentral according to when their program ends abroad and grades are expected.


Independent Programs Questionnaire


Have any Independent programs been approved by your department and the Study Abroad Advisory board for credit in the major?


Are there any pre-approved courses for your major from other UC summer abroad programs (UCLA, UCD, etc.)?

Yes, but this list is not public.

What is the process to have a course from an Independent study abroad program evaluated for your major?

We would have to bring this to the attention of our Undergraduate Chair (and possibly the Faculty Teaching Committee) for review. At minimum, they would want to evaluate the curriculum for the program. This would require obtaining course syllabi.