Novel coronavirus: spring and summer programs in China have been suspended.

We are here to support students as they make decisions. Please speak with a study abroad adviser if you have questions or concerns.

Earth and Planetary Science

The Earth and Planetary Science Department has provided information for students who plan to study abroad. Review your department’s responses to the Major Advising Questionnaires below, then contact the department directly with any additional questions.


Advising Resources


Study Abroad for Earth and Planetary Science Majors (PDF)

Study Abroad Information on the Earth and Planetary Science Website N/A

Earth and Planetary Science Advising Contact Information


Berkeley Programs Questionnaire


Does your department currently sponsor a Berkeley Summer Abroad or Berkeley Global Internships program?


Do any courses offered on a Berkeley Summer Abroad or Berkeley Global Internships program currently satisfy requirements within your major?

Courses are reviewed on a case by case basis through the major faculty advisor.


UCEAP Programs Questionnaire


What is the maximum amount of major credit given for courses taken during UCEAP? Is this maximum calculated by number of courses or by units of credit?

12 units would be the maximum amount of major credit for UCEAP courses. We strongly advise students not to take any core major courses abroad, but everything is reviewed on a case-by-case basis.

Does your department maintain a list of courses previously awarded credit on UCEAP and/or a list of pre-approved courses for UCEAP programs?

Please talk to the adviser about courses that were pre-approved for UCEAP.

Does your department have a 4-year or 2-year plan available to students that incorporates semester or year-length study abroad? How do students access this information?

We do not have a plan available since each major and academic plan is different for each student, so it’s best to meet with the advisor about study abroad plans as early as possible.

What is the process in your department to have courses evaluated? What materials must be submitted? What is the timeframe for response?

Course descriptions and syllabi must be sent to the faculty advisor for evaluation. They respond within a week, especially if the student is already abroad and planning their schedule.

Are students in your department able to undertake a senior honors thesis the semester following UCEAP participation?


Does your department calculate UCEAP grades into departmental GPA?


Are UCEAP grades counted towards departmental honors?


If you represent a department which teaches foreign language, does your department award major credit for the courses taken during the Intensive Language Program (ILP) portion of the UCEAP program?


Does the undergraduate adviser sign the UCEAP academic planning form, or must a faculty adviser sign?

The undergraduate adviser signs the form.

Does your department place Academic holds on declared majors prior to each registration period? If yes, what is your departmental policy on releasing advising holds for students currently abroad on UCEAP (e.g. is advising possible via email, skype, etc.)?

Yes. Students email their schedules to the faculty adviser and department adviser for review.

Do you have any department specific advice for students participating on a UCEAP program in their last term at Berkeley?

Please check-in with your L&S and department advisor to make sure you are on track to graduate.


Independent Programs Questionnaire


Have any Independent programs been approved by your department and the Study Abroad Advisory board for credit in the major?


Are there any pre-approved courses for your major from other UC summer abroad programs (UCLA, UCD, etc.)?

We don’t have anything that is pre-approved but we would still review the courses with the faculty advisor.

What is the process to have a course from an Independent study abroad program evaluated for your major?

Course descriptions and syllabi must be sent to the faculty adviser for evaluation.