The Computer Science Department has provided information for students participating in the UC Education Abroad Program (UCEAP). Students participating on other study abroad programs should contact the department directly for more information.
Study Abroad Questionnaire:
- Is there a specific time frame in which students are required to declare a major in your department? If yes, when?
- Does the undergraduate adviser sign the UCEAP academic planning form, or must a faculty adviser sign?
Undergraduate advisers sign the UCEAP academic planning form.
- Should students make an appointment to have their academic planning form signed in your department? If so, do they need to bring a transcript or any other supplemental materials with them to their appointment?
We have an "open door" policy, so students planning for time abroad are free to drop in at any time we are here.
- What is the maximum amount of major credit given for courses taken during UCEAP? Is this maximum calculated by number of courses or by units of credit?
It is rare to have more than 4 units approved.
- Are students in your department able to undertake a senior honors thesis the semester following UCEAP participation?
Students participating in our honors program are eligible to work on their project papers whenever they are prepared to do so. Normally this occurs during their senior year. We require delivery of an archivable project report before students leave Berkeley after finishing their degree. So, it is possible for a UCEAP student to undertake and complete their honors research upon return to the United States. It is also possible for them to do it overseas, or start the work elsewhere and finish it here.
- Does your department calculate UCEAP grades into departmental GPA?
- Are UCEAP grades counted towards departmental honors?
- If you represent a department which teaches foreign language, does your department award major credit for the courses taken during the Intensive Language Program (ILP) portion of the UCEAP program?
- Does your department distribute a special information sheet for your majors which includes advice on how to articulate participation with UCEAP with the major?
- Does your department place Academic holds on declared majors prior to each registration period? If yes, what is your departmental policy on releasing advising holds for students currently abroad on UCEAP (e.g. is advising possible via email, skype, etc.)?
Not at this time.