Novel coronavirus: spring and summer programs in China have been suspended.

We are here to support students as they make decisions. Please speak with a study abroad adviser if you have questions or concerns.

Computer Science

The Computer Science Division has provided information for students who plan to study abroad. Review your department’s responses to the Major Advising Questionnaires below, then contact the department directly with any additional questions


Advising Resources

Study Abroad for Computer Science Majors (PDF) 

Study Abroad Information on the Computer Science Website

Computer Science Advising Contact Information


Berkeley Programs Questionnaire


Does your department currently sponsor a Berkeley Summer Abroad or Berkeley Global Internships program?


Do any courses offered on a Berkeley Summer Abroad or Berkeley Global Internships program currently satisfy requirements within your major?

The Berkeley Summer Abroad “Entrepreneurship and Innovation in Europe” program usually counts towards the 7 units of tech electives required. Students should discuss with a CS advisor first if they want to receive credit.


UCEAP Programs Questionnaire


What is the maximum amount of major credit given for courses taken during UCEAP? Is this maximum calculated by number of courses or by units of credit?

Students can apply up to three approved upper-division study abroad courses (no more than 12 units) towards the major requirements, and one approved upper-division study abroad course (no more than 4 units) towards the minor requirements.

Does your department maintain a list of courses previously awarded credit on UCEAP and/or a list of pre-approved courses for UCEAP programs? How do students access this information?

Yes. Many of the Berkeley Study Abroad partner universities have specific Electrical Engineering and Computer Science departments/programs or offer relevant courses through other departments. View a list of our pre-approved courses here.

Does your department have a 4-year or 2-year plan available to students that incorporates semester or year-length study abroad? How do students access this information?

Students should schedule an appointment with a major advisor as soon as possible to create a program plan. An advisor can help determine how to best fit a study abroad experience into a student’s academic schedule. Click here for example program plans for CS majors.

What is the process in your department to have courses evaluated? What materials must be submitted? What is the timeframe for response?

Study abroad courses that are not yet on our pre-approved courses list must be evaluated and approved before your study abroad experience commences. This should be done no later than the semester before studying abroad. We suggest making prior arrangements and consulting with CS Advisors to ensure the course(s) you select is transferable.

If the course is not on the pre-approved list, review UC Berkeley course descriptions and webpages.

If you believe the course(s) to be equivalent to a UC Berkeley upper-division computer science or electrical engineering course, contact the current faculty of the corresponding UC Berkeley EECS course. You should send them the syllabus and any additional information about the course. The faculty should review the course materials for equivalency. They may deem the course fully or partially equivalent. Ask them to copy on their evaluation.

Once you receive a response, submit the CS Major Appeals and Exceptions Request form and include the syllabus and the response you received from the faculty. The request will be reviewed by the Faculty Vice Chair and you will be notified of the decision via email.

For course equivalency requests for CS 169 – Software Development, please first review this page:

If the UC Berkeley EECS Department does not offer a similar course, consider if it may qualify as an upper-division technical elective. If so, submit this form and include the syllabus and/or other course materials. The request will be reviewed by the Faculty Vice Chair and you will be notified of the decision via email. This may take up to two months.

Are students in your department able to undertake a senior honors thesis the semester following UCEAP participation?

Yes. However, the thesis is only available to students previously admitted to the honors program.

Does your department calculate UCEAP grades into departmental GPA?


Are UCEAP grades counted towards departmental honors?


If you represent a department which teaches foreign language, does your department award major credit for the courses taken during the Intensive Language Program (ILP) portion of the UCEAP program?


Does the undergraduate adviser sign the UCEAP academic planning form, or must a faculty adviser sign?

The undergraduate advisor.

Does your department place Academic holds on declared majors prior to each registration period? If yes, what is your departmental policy on releasing advising holds for students currently abroad on UCEAP (e.g. is advising possible via email, skype, etc.)?

Not at this time.

Do you have any department specific advice for students participating on a UCEAP program in their last term at Berkeley?

Please meet with a CS advisor to discuss course articulation, graduation requirements, and to complete a degree audit before planning to go abroad. Please note that many programs end after our departmental commencement date, so if students want to participate in commencement, they are welcome to attend the one in the previous Spring or the following Spring.


Independent Programs Questionnaire


Have any Independent programs been approved by your department and the Study Abroad Advisory board for credit in the major?


Are there any pre-approved courses for your major from other UC summer abroad programs (UCLA, UCD, etc.)?


What is the process to have a course from an Independent study abroad program evaluated for your major?

Study abroad courses that are not yet listed must be evaluated and approved before your study abroad experience commences. Students who wish to fulfill major requirements with study abroad courses must submit the course syllabus and any other course details through:

For L&S Computer Science majors and minors, the Course Evaluation Request google form

For EECS majors and minors, submit a Course Evaluation Request to 205 Cory Hall or

This should be done no later than one semester before studying abroad.