How to Apply
- Research which Summer Abroad option is best for you by attending an information session and speaking with a past participant and/or program staff.
- Ensure you meet all eligibility requirements and have met any prerequisites. Please note that prerequisites vary by program.
- Have your passport ready. If you do not have a passport or if your current passport is set to expire before February 2017, apply for or renew your passport immediately.
- Make an appointment with your academic advisor to determine whether the course credits through your program can be applied to your degree requirements.
- Research financial aid, scholarships and funding opportunities.
- Read all program policies thoroughly and bookmark the policies webpage
- Meet with a program advisor
Recommended for all programs.
- The application period is now closed!.
Be sure that you have gathered all of the following information before you begin:
- Basic biographical and contact information
- Emergency contact information
- Program and course selection
- Agreement to terms and review of program policies
- Upload supporting materials in PDF format
- 200-500 word essay
Essay should focus on why you chose your specific program and include details about your cross-cultural or international experiences to date.
- Copy of your most recent college transcript (official or unofficial)
- A Signed Student Agreement
- Signed Student Waiver of Liability
- Pay non-refundable $400 deposit
A non-refundable $400 deposit (payable by credit or debit card only) is required at the time of application and will be applied towards the program fee. The $400 deposit cannot be waived.
Your application is not considered complete until all required materials are submitted. Applications will be reviewed in the order received. Apply as early as possible, as space is limited.
You may only apply for one Global Internships or Summer Abroad program per summer. If you apply to a program that is canceled or if you are placed on a waitlist, you will have the option of switching to another open program that does not have a waitlist.
You will be notified via email of your application status by March 22, 2017.
If you are accepted into the program you applied for:
You will receive a welcome packet by March 22, 2017. Review your packet and return all required documents no later than 5 p.m. PST on April 3, 2017.
If you are placed on a waitlist:
If a program becomes full, a waitlist of all eligible applicants will be created in the order in which applications are received. Berkeley Study Abroad reserves sole discretion to manage program waitlists. If placed on a waitlist, you will be notified via email and must reply with your intention for one of the following:
A. Remain on the waitlist - no further action required.
B. Switch to another open program –. It is your responsibility to assure that you meet all eligibility requirements for the program that you would like to switch into. Once you have confirmed this, please complete an Alternative Options Form which will be provided to you by program staff. If you decide to switch into an open program, you will forfeit your spot on the waitlist.
C. Withdraw your application from the waitlist – you must complete an Alternative Options Form to receive a refund of your $400 deposit.
If an opening occurs in the program, the first student on the waitlist will be notified by email. If you receive an offer for a place in the program, you will have 24 hours to accept the offer. If you do not respond after 24 hours, you will be placed at the bottom of the waitlist and the next student on the list will be offered a spot instead. By accepting this offer, you agree to abide by all program policies and deadlines, including those relating to the refund of fees. If you cancel after the cancellation deadline, you will not receive a refund of the program fee.
Program staff do not know in advance when and if a space will open up for those on the waitlist. Although we cannot provide an exact date, we expect that all waitlisted students will be notified of their final status by mid-April.
If you know that you will not be participating in the program you are waitlisted for, please withdraw your application by submitting the Alternative Options Form. There may be other students on the waitlist and if you continue to hold a spot, you may prevent another student from being accepted into a program. If you fail to submit an Alternative Options Form, you will not receive a refund of your $400 deposit.
If you would like to cancel your participation:
Complete and submit a Program Enrollment Form no later than 5 p.m. PST on April 3, 2017. You may submit the completed form online through the MySummer student portal. Writing an email or talking to program staff about your intention to cancel is not considered an official request.
Incomplete or missing confirmation forms do not constitute as an official cancellation.
By canceling your participation, you will not receive a refund of the $400 deposit. Read more about refund policies.