Tuition and Program Fee
The fees to participate in this program are broken down into 1) tuition and 2) program fees, which are applied to your student billing account as follows:
|2015 Fees||UC Students||Visiting Students|
|Tuition (7 units)||$2,842||$3,220|
|Fees are subject to change. All non-UC Berkeley students must pay an additional Document Management Fee of $53.|
Estimated Out-of-Pocket Expenses
In addition to the fees outlined above, Berkeley Study Abroad has estimated costs for out-of pocket expenses. These amounts are used to calculate financial aid packages for eligible students. Actual expenses will vary depending on your lifestyle and spending habits.
|International Airfare and Transportation||$739|
|Total Estimated Out-Of-Pocket Expenses||$1,784|
Financial aid is available for UC Berkeley students who are enrolled in at least 6 units during the summer. All other students should contact the financial aid office at their home institution for more information.
Explanation of Fees
Tuition is based on a per unit cost:
- The UC undergraduate student rate is $406 per unit
- The visiting student rate for all non-UC participants is $460 per unit
The program fee includes the following items:
- Student housing in a family homestay, including breakfast daily and dinner five days per week
- Excursions such as Volcano Day, site visits to various service organizations, etc.
- On-site orientation activities including an introduction to Ciudad Colón and Costa Rica, welcome group dinner, etc.
- Travel insurance to cover accident/sickness medical coverage, emergency medical evacuation, security extraction, and other travel assistance services
- Other program-related costs including fees for UPEACE faculty, group transportation, etc.
- The initial non-refundable deposit of $400, which is due at the time of application and is applied to the program fee
Please note that the list of items included in the program fee is not all-inclusive and is subject to change.
The following items are excluded from the program fee:
- International airfare
- Personal expenses (souvenirs, routine medical expenses, toiletries, etc.)
- Course materials (textbooks and readers)
- Other travel expenses (passport, visa, etc.)
- Additional meals
- Commuting costs for daily travel to and from classes