UC Berkeley students can apply financial aid towards the cost of a Global Internships program, including tuition, program fees, and out-of-pocket expenses such as airfare, meals, and books.
Visit the Financial Aid and Scholarships Office website for information on how financial aid works with your program, including:
- Types of financial aid available
- Sample program budgets
- How to apply for financial aid
Complete our Financial Planning Worksheet and meet with a financial aid counselor to review your financial aid package. Counselors from the Financial Aid and Scholarships Office are available during drop-in advising hours in 160 Stephens Hall.
You also can get an estimate of how much financial aid you might receive.
Visiting students should contact an advisor at their home institution regarding how to apply financial aid towards a Global Internships program.
If you require financial aid to cover program costs, it is your responsibility to confirm your aid package in advance of any program deadlines. Inability to pay the program fee or tuition is not a valid reason to receive a refund of the fees associated with your program.
The Berkeley Study Abroad Scholarship is available to a broad range of students. Awards of $1,500 are made to qualified students—no application is necessary. Students who participate in multiple terms abroad are eligible for scholarships in every term.
To qualify, you must:
- Be a current Berkeley student eligible for financial aid
- Be a participant in the Global Internships program*
- Have an EFC of $50,000 or less
- Have remaining financial need after all other eligible gift aid and scholarships have been calculated towards your program's cost of attendance
- Have completed a 2016-2017 Free Application for Federal Student Aid (FAFSA)
*Students participating in the San Francisco Bay Area option are not eligible for the scholarship.
View our Scholarships Directory for additional study abroad scholarships, including a comprehensive list of campus and national awards.
Summer Sessions Loan
Need extra help to fund your summer? The Summer Sessions Loan program offers low-interest, subsidized loans to students participating in a summer study abroad program. To be eligible for the loan, you must:
- Be a UC Berkeley student
- Meet eligibility requirements for the Middle Class Action Plan (MCAP) for the 2016-2017 academic year
- Meet all other eligibility requirements for financial aid
For details, see the Summer Sessions Loan webpage.