Description: The Chicano Studies Department has provided information for students participating in the UC Education Abroad Program (UCEAP). Students participating on other study abroad programs should contact the department directly for more information.
Department Handouts: Study Abroad for Chicano Studies Majors (PDF)
Study Abroad Questionnaire:
- Is there a specific time frame in which students are required to declare a major in your department? If yes, when?
As soon as all lower division pre-requisites are completed.
- Does the undergraduate adviser sign the UCEAP academic planning form, or must a faculty adviser sign?
The Undergrad adviser will sign it.
- Should students make an appointment to have their academic planning form signed in your department? If so, do they need to bring a transcript or any other supplemental materials with them to their appointment?
Students should bring course description or syllabi of the courses they plan on taking abroad and plan to possibly use towards they major.
- What is the maximum amount of major credit given for courses taken during UCEAP? Is this maximum calculated by number of courses or by units of credit?
This will vary depending the country of study abroad. Maximum number of EAP courses ranges from 1-3.
- Are students in your department able to undertake a senior honors thesis the semester following UCEAP participation?
Students can complete their senior honors thesis if they will be at Berkeley for 2 terms upon their return.
- Does your department calculate UCEAP grades into departmental GPA?
- Are UCEAP grades counted towards departmental honors?
- If you represent a department which teaches foreign language, does your department award major credit for the courses taken during the Intensive Language Program (ILP) portion of the UCEAP program?
- Does your department distribute a special information sheet for your majors which includes advice on how to articulate participation with UCEAP with the major?
No, advice on how to articulate participation is given on a student to student basis.
- Does your department place Academic holds on declared majors prior to each registration period? If yes, what is your departmental policy on releasing advising holds for students currently abroad on UCEAP (e.g. is advising possible via email, skype, etc.)?
Holds are placed on certain categories of students only (e.g. new freshmen and transfer students). Advisers are available by email and will release holds after course plans for the following semester are agreed upon.