Description: The Department of Ethnic Studies has provided information for students participating in the UC Education Abroad Program (UCEAP). Students participating on other study abroad programs should contact the department directly for more information.
Department Handouts: Study Abroad for Asian American and Asian Diaspora Studies Majors (PDF)
Study Abroad Questionnaire:
- Is there a specific time frame in which students are required to declare a major in your department? If yes, when?
- Does the undergraduate adviser sign the UCEAP academic planning form, or must a faculty adviser sign?
The Undergraduate Assistant.
- Should students make an appointment to have their academic planning form signed in your department? If so, do they need to bring a transcript or any other supplemental materials with them to their appointment?
Yes, please advise the students to bring course descriptions, syllabi, etc. of the courses they plan on taking abroad and want to possible use towards any major requirements.
- What is the maximum amount of major credit given for courses taken during UCEAP? Is this maximum calculated by number of courses or by units of credit?
The maximum amount of major credit we give for EAP courses varies from student to student. The maximum amount generally depends on which major requirements the student has left and which requirements the student is trying to fulfill with EAP courses. The maximum number of EAP courses accepted generally ranges from 1 to 3 courses.
- Are students in your department able to undertake a senior honors thesis the semester following UCEAP participation?
Yes. They can undertake the senior honors thesis as long as they have met the departmental guidelines and they have the proper departmental and overall GPA's.
- Does your department calculate UCEAP grades into departmental GPA?
Yes, as long as they are UC sponsored EAP programs.
- Are UCEAP grades counted towards departmental honors?
- If you represent a department which teaches foreign language, does your department award major credit for the courses taken during the Intensive Language Program (ILP) portion of the UCEAP program?
- Does your department distribute a special information sheet for your majors which includes advice on how to articulate participation with UCEAP with the major?
No. Advice on how to articulate participation is given on a student to student basis.
- Does your department place Academic holds on declared majors prior to each registration period? If yes, what is your departmental policy on releasing advising holds for students currently abroad on UCEAP (e.g. is advising possible via email, skype, etc.)?